Crunchy first gear (manual cars)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crunchy first gear (manual cars)

I'm having issues with my forfour BRABUS. When im putting the car into first gear, if you do it quickly literally just after you've pressed the clutch down you get a grindy grindy noise. I'm sure its not me, I did 30,000 miles in a manual Combo last year so I know how to change gear!

smart of Bristol had it in today and said that its a characteristic of the forfour gearbox.

But is it? Over to you forfour owners..............

Tony

**** synchro on 1st gear ?

release bearing problem?

get it chopped in for something new Tony

Comment

But what could I get? I mean the only one i've not had is the roadster coupe. Or I could get that 54 plate LHD mk? in another thread. Seriously, it didnt happen on their demo BRABUS that I ragged around Wales. The man said that possibly the gearbox needs to bed in :zip:

I'm going to have to keep an eye on it, I dont want them refusing to fix it cos its got worse though. (as if they'd do that to me, Mr No1 customer)

Tony

Comment

the synchro should be able to cope with bringing it to a halt fast enough in any gear really

If you've driven a good one without the fault - it does point to a new box

They can't be ar5ed changing it or don't believe it can be faulty by the sounds of it?

Comment

I'd second the synchro theory, won't be a bearing issue.
          the 'characteristic' answer is a corker. They tried to fob me off with EXACTLY that answer when I was b1tching about wind noise. - I won, and they replaced the seals under warranty.

You need to absolutley prove to them that it is infact an issue, make sure you and they test it in a similar model. I know I wouldn't put up with it. especially on the brabby when you're likely to be doing quick changes

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

Could this be clutch lag?

It occurs to me that this exact symptom could be caused by the clutch opening the plates more slowly than you would like after you press the pedal.

I have to confess I don't know if your clutch is hydraulic (or even electric) but worth a look. If it's cable-operated, though, I'm clearly talking carp and I apologise!

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Jonathan

Comment

Re: Crunchy first gear (manual cars)

This probably wont help you Tony, but I have a 1.5 Pulse curtasy car at the moment which has 15k on the clock and a similar problem to which you describe, it doesnt always do it and it seems if you press the clutch twice it stops it. It only happens in the first gear.

Rach

Comment

Originally posted by Rach
                This probably wont help you Tony, but I have a 1.5 Pulse curtasy car at the moment which has 15k on the clock and a similar problem to which you describe, it doesnt always do it and it seems if you press the clutch twice it stops it. It only happens in the first gear.

Rach

Oooooh but it does help - that sounds exactly what i'm getting. I had a conversation with someone else who said he'd heard of similar. Ive also joined a Colt forum and some there have had gearbox troubles too.

Im going to keep an eye on it over the weekend then take it back to the dealer and ask them to look at it again,

Tony

Comment

Now I think about it, it does doesnt it! because, you know for a fact that its not just a bedding in issue as this car had 15k so should be well run in

I love the forfour now Ive driven one! it feels really solid and the dash materials are of a higher standard than my roadster. Tony, maybe I should do a you and chop my roadie in for the Brabus

Comment

Originally posted by Rach
                    Tony, maybe I should do a you and chop my roadie in for the Brabus
                    NOOOOOO, to do a Tony you need to have one mk7 coupe that you're happy with, then swap that for a mk7 cabrio BRABUS with niggly issues, swap that for a BRABUS roadie which gives back ache, swap that for a mk7 Passion cabrio (cos it was cheap) and then swap that to the preferred mk7 BRABUS cabrio again. THEN you go mental and blow your budget and buy a forfour.

Dont do it, the roadie is much more fun that a standard forfour!

Comment

Originally posted by J500ANT
                      NOOOOOO, to do a Tony you...
                      Basically need loads of money by the sounds of it :biggrin::tongue:

If I was going to swap it would only be for the Brabus

Comment

No you dont need lots of money, just enough (and not smoke or drink of course)

Comment

I dont smoke drink or go out much I just love cars!! Anyway we seem to have gone off on a major tangent! Keep us posted on the crunchy Brabus situation, will be interesting to see if smart do anything about this problem

Comment

Just an update to this, I have a different forfour coutasy car now Tony and it DOESNT do the crunch thing that the other one did, this one is also well run in so I don't think its a matter of "they all do it sir!!"

Rach

Comment

Had any squidgy rear suspension with the forfours? as I did with the CDi, made fast cornering a little bowel loosening! yet the petrol 1.5 I had before didn't, sounds like Quality control need a slap to wake them up!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X