Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smart Multimedia Navigator - DVD playback

Hi there.

Just got a brand new forfour with the all-singing, all-dancing Multimedia Navigator. :teeth:

One of the reasons I shelled out for this was because I was told (by two seperate dealers) that it played DVDs, but when you drive off the screen blanks and you just get the sound.

Sounds very kewl.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. :eek: Pressing the "VIDEO" button just gives "No Video" on the display, either with or without a DVD in. :sad: And, yes - I've tried a number of DVDs.

When I bought the car I wasn't given a manual for the sound system - and my dealer has promised to send me one. So perhaps I'm doing something wrong... and suggestions here greatly appreciated. Note that the dealer has confirmed that the unit fitted is the right one.

Unfortunately the dealer isn't exactly trying to give me a nice warm feeling that he cares about this problem (I guess because they've got my money now) and has offered to book the car in for a day, but nine days hence. I am very keen (unsurprisingly enough) to sort this asap. Spending 10% of the cost of a car on a gadget which doesn't cut the mustard makes me feel like a mug (and you can imagine the grief 'er indoors is giving me!).

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'd love to hear from anyone who has one of these beasts and their experiences.

Thanks and regards to all,

Jonathan

i havent got one but that sounds like a safety feature whereby your not allowed to watch DVD's while driving.

you may be able to over ride this "feature", maybe someone who has it can elaborate if the safety feature can be disabled.

Comment

Had a 44 with the super duper , radio , nav, phone thing for the last few weesk while my roadster was in. Was impressed by the car over all except the super radio nav thingy etc . Seemed to fiddly to work & hard to see - maybe just a design thing. I woudl suggest you were sold the car with false info & get them to refund the cost of it as an extra. Start quoting the sale of goods act and tat it was not as described etc .

Just keep going & they will give in . Its a sham their attitude is bad , but it seems most ( not all !) dealers have the same approach .

Comment

Yeah but, no but, yeah but...

Originally posted by decoy7
        i havent got one but that sounds like a safety feature whereby your not allowed to watch DVD's while driving.

you may be able to over ride this "feature", maybe someone who has it can elaborate if the safety feature can be disabled.
        I hear what you're saying, but it doesn't work _at all_ - even with the engine off, or in neutral, or even with the keys out.

Very depressed about the whole thing.

Thanks for the speedy response, anyway.

Kind Regards,

Jonathan

Comment

Im sure I have read here or on smartz.co.uk that the additional features on the Multimedia Navigator dont actually work. Badger will be back from his hols soon, he has some sort of navigator in his forfor and probably will know more.

I, on the other hand, have a Garmin and a Radio 6 and I cant watch DVD's in my car either

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by C15JON
            ... offered to book the car in for a day, but nine days hence.
            Nine days? Not really good enough, is it? I'd just turn up uninvited, make a fuss, and insist that someone look at it. :embarasse

Comment

Having read through all the smartz forums about this, i'm glad I left that option box unticked.

Jonathan, do you have the brochure for the car, and does it state in there that the smart multimedia navigator will play DVDs? on thesmart.co.uk it says:

- smart radio navigator - radio, CD player incl. 4 speakers, navigation, 4.9"
              colour display (only in conjunction with multifunctional steering wheel)

- smart multimedia navigator - radio, DVD navigation with map representation
              and audio CD function, 6.5" colour display, WAP browser and telephone
              keypad (only in conjunction with multifunctional steering wheel)

No mention of DVD playback there. If your brochure says DVD playback then threaten to reject the car. That'll get them thinking. Maybe they'll give you a refund of the difference between the two satnav options.

Tony

Comment

Grrr - no, the brochure doesn't support the case.

Tony,

Thanks for the reply .

I've since posting this seen a lot about this on smartz - and it looks like I've been stitched up :embarasse .

The nice salesman told me in words of one syllable that it would play DVDs - and, when I first found the problem, his boss said he would get their expert to repair the car, as it should indeed play them. Since then, there have been a number of telephone conversations, in which they have always said that it should work, and that they'll fix it if I can only get the car there.

Spoke to his boss again today, and imparted the tale of woe (no WAP, no DVD playback, etc) and he said they'd speak to smart UK.

Got a voicemail today from salesman saying that they've checked with smart UK and it won't play DVDs . He reckons that the WAP browser would work if I had the phone connection, but I doubt this very much on the basis of what I've read.

So, I am stuffed. OK, there was a verbal contract between them and me, and that's legally binding - and I don't think for one minute the individuals involved will try to deny what they said, as I trust their integrity, but nevertheless this is likely to go up to smart uk to settle and I have no proof.

What I hope is that the dealer will refund the difference in price, as has been mooted here.

Apart from that; it's a stunning car and the SatNav leaves my old TomTom standing (except for a few bells and whistles which I never used anyway).

Thanks again for writing.

Kind Regards,

Jonathan

Comment

What the brochure does say...

The brochure says the following:

"smart radio multimedia navigator: Offers all the functions of the smart radio six, in addition to a 6.5 inch colour display as well as a DVD navigation system with map display. The DVD player can also be used for CDs. An integrated WAP browser permits mobile internet access via the smart portal."

The salesman said that the use of the phrase "DVD player" was encouraging, before they gave up on this.

Grrr.

Jonathan

Comment

I would ask them for the £500 thats the difference between the normal nav and the multimedia one. Tell them if they pay it back to you and then at a later date get it working as sold to you then they can have the £500 back!

And as I said before, keep an eye out for Badger - he has the Multimedia navigator so may be able to assist you further. He & Kate should be back from hols soon.

Glad you're enjoying your forfour. I Love mine but never thought I would warm to the forfour.

Tony

Comment

Re: smart Multimedia Navigator - DVD playback

Yep we are back!
                      It does B***** all that we were told it would do either! It won't even play MP3's on a CD. The WAP doesn't even work if you do have the phone kit and we have kicked up with the info centre but no reply yet. Also have argued about it getting the roundabouts all wrong in the UK.

Just bought DVD map version 4 from E-bay, waiting to see if it makes any difference!

The confusion seems to come from the fact that there are 2 very simular units, both sold as Merc Comand systems, we have the watered down version from the A-Class and C-Class, Merc owners have had compensation!

Good Luck

Kate

Comment

Originally posted by lil.smartie
                        Merc owners have had compensation!
                        Thanks for this - but have we evidence of this? This could be the key to some redress...

Regards,

Jonathan

Comment

look on MBclub should find the answers in the electronics bit, might have to go back a bit though!

Kate

Comment

Originally posted by J500ANT
                            I would ask them for the £500 thats the difference between the normal nav and the multimedia one. Tell them if they pay it back to you and then at a later date get it working as sold to you then they can have the £500 back!
                            Tony
                            Well, Tony - I did as you suggested and asked for the £500 back - and they've actually offered (and I've accepted) a cheque for £300 (as they are at least making a compromise).

Result - I can splash out on that cool-looking rear blind and parcel shelf now!

The interesting thing about this is, though, that it could be taken as an admission of fault...

Drive safely,

Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by C15JON
                              Well, Tony - I did as you suggested and asked for the £500 back - and they've actually offered (and I've accepted) a cheque for £300 (as they are at least making a compromise)
                              Well thats not too bad an outcome I suppose. If nothing else it will make them think twice before they recommend the same set up to someone else too!

Good result! (Ask them to sell you the new bits at cost though, screw a few pounds more from them :tongue: )

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X