Oil check

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil check

Ive had the car 8 days now and done just over 1000miles. I checked the oil today but dont know whether it needs topping up. Reason being that I could see oil between the 2 markers but it was light in colour, compared to the dark oil that had collected on the bottom quarter of the dipstick between the bottom notch.

I'm afraid to top it up incase I don't need any. Can anyone help?

Sorry this should be in for2 How to...
    Last edited by Turboriksha; 08-10-05, 07:19 PM.

Re: Oil check

I gather you took the dip stick out & wiped it before checking the level?:blacki:
    Make sure the car is on level ground & the engine is warm, 3 blobs on guage. Leave the car for a few mins, to let the oil settle. Then check the level. It should be between the 2 marks.
    I think it's 0.25 Litre between empty & full.
    I hope this is of some help.:smile:
    BTW, the oil will be very dark.

Comment

Thanx MrT. The oil is dark below the bottom marker but above that its between the markers but very light in colour. Ive got a bad feeling ive let it run too low and it needs topping up!!! :redface:

Comment

Dont Over Fill

Comment

If I put in 0.5ltrs I should be ok? Im sure if it was really low the oil light would have come on by now.

Comment

the oil light only comes on when its dangerously low which isnt really handy but over filling can lead to problems plus you will know if you have done it as the performance will be greatly reduced

Comment

I take it that the oil between the markers should definately be dark and not light in colour?

Comment

depends on how fresh your oil is after a service the oil will be lighter as it hasnt been used and dirtied

Comment

My cars brand new with 1000 miles done in 8 days!

Comment

its normal for a new car to use oil as it settles down

Comment

Ok sorted the oil out at the Donni meet today with the help of Phil from Smartmania, an extremely helpful and knowledgeable chap. It was just above minimum so topped it up a bit, enough to get me home. Will check again tomorrow and add a little bit more until its in the right spot.

Comment

Keep an eye on your oil consumption. It can be anything up to 0.5 litres per 1000 miles however it can also be as little as 0.5 per 9000 miles. There are no hard and fast rules. There is 0.7 litres between the top and bottom of the dipstick (max and min) and the car holds 2.9 litres.

Do not under any circumstances overfill your car with oil.

Quite simply it will blow your engine up and surprisingly quickly.

Once your car is run in it will settle down into a pattern of oil consumption and although not necessary, an oil change at between 1500 and 2000 miles will see your cars performance improve vastly and a good opportunity to remove the "oh so thin" 0w40 Mobil 1 and put in something a little thicker (5w40 fully synthetic... we use Valvoline synpower).

This will instantly reduce your oil consumpion. It's also a good opportunity to fit a spin on oil filter which adds 0.5 litres of oil to your engine and on average keep it running 5 degrees cooler which will help to prolong the life of both engine and turbo.

It will also improve your cars fuel consumption (don't ask me how, it just does).

Paul Holmes.

Comment

Paul - What on earth are you doing posting on here at 5.57am - Alan said you need your beauty sleep!

Comment

Maybe his last post before flying off to Norway?
                            Has anyone mentioned how addictive posting on forums can be????

Hopefully taking Stephania to a cold country where there's nothing
                            to do but look at snow (ahem :redface: ) will help him with his withdrawal symptoms..

Then again he's probably booked a log cabin
                            within 500 yards of an internet cafe! :tongue:

Vlad x

Comment

Spin on oil filter?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X