ForFour Reverse Gear Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ForFour Reverse Gear Problem

My ForFour with softtouch won't go into reverse. Has anyone had this problem?

Re: ForFour Reverse Gear Problem

Do your brake lights work?

I think there is an interlock to prevent reverse gear selection unless the foot brake is applied

failed switches are not unheard of on 42s and 44s may suffer the same but I don't recall any post on this

Comment

Originally posted by larrywalker
      There are several gearbox issues with Forfours and Soft Touch!

Get it booked in and get a loan car, be prepared for a long wait!
      Fudge!
      fudge@fudgesmart.co.uk

Engine Rebuilding - sw-exclusive Remaps - TAN Codes - Key Fob Coding - Servicing

All Services Available Mobile, Key Coding Available 24/7

www.fudgesmart.co.uk
      www.sw-x.co.uk

Comment

My gear box was sorted with a MEG and SAM unit software update, all done in 48 hrs and had a loan 1.5 petrol passion to boot! Big thunbs up to Smart of Swindon!

Kate

Comment

Originally posted by larrywalker
          my 1.3 passion 44 have the same problem.
          I had both the softouch SW updated and the clutch replaced but the problem is still evident (sometimes it stucks to "0" instead of going into "R")

As a workaround you can quickly step your gear from the forward "D" position to "R" without to stop in "N".
          Hope it helps

Comment

Originally posted by simone
            my 1.3 passion 44 have the same problem.
            I had both the softouch SW updated and the clutch replaced but the problem is still evident (sometimes it stucks to "0" instead of going into "R")

As a workaround you can quickly step your gear from the forward "D" position to "R" without to stop in "N".
            Hope it helps
            Seems that this problem affects lots of 44.
            Look at this link
            http://forfourowner.jconserv.net/vie...hp?p=2671#2671
            should be useful if all of you will join the rockjock's initiative to force Smart to find a solution

Comment

Thanks for the fix. I have had this problem for years now, with garage fixing the switch on the brake etc but to no avail. Going from drive to reverse without stopping in 'N' really works. What a life saver

Comment

what is that link?? random!! its a good 3 years old.....

there has been a very recent discussion on this at www.forfour.co.uk and the swift movement from drive to reverse has helped a number of our new members!

also, not taking the car in and out of drive while stopped at traffic lights avoids any unnecessary additional transfers! the gear box is "quirky" and you have to get used to it

JJ of www.forfour.co.uk

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

KEEPING YOUR FOOT PRESSED ON THE BRAKE PEDDLE HELPS ALOT WHEN CHANGING GEARS!

Sorry for cap's, Have child on my lap so it's difficalt to type.

Comment

My forfour used to do that on occasions, but the first to reverse thing worked everytime!
                    My new motor has a stick and pedal arrangement that I havnt come across for years, and unfortunately forgetting to use the pedal thingy, or to put the stick thingy in the right place has caused sudden stoppages of the engine on several occasions, but I think I might be getting the hang of it now!

Comment

another satisfied customer

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X