does the forfour need water to run?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does the forfour need water to run?

Okay, I'm not mechanically minded and know very little about cars, except how to drive one. I fill up petrol and drive, that's it...

So... if this seems like a really dumb question it probably is...

Does the Forfour need water to keep it running? Because I can't find anything under the bonnet seems to require water...? I've had the car for about 10 months now... and all is fine so far...

(except for the crazy alarm that seems to go off once in a while, when I'm driving along the high-street!)...

Ken

Re: does the forfour need water to run?

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the club!

Water acts as the cooling mechanism in cars. It takes away the heat from the engine and disperses it through the radiator at the front. The radiator is located at the front so that you hit the air head on and you get better cooling. When you sit in traffic for a long time, you here the fan kick in. This is because the water isn't cooling fast enough and it needs some assistance. (This is probably a really poor explaination, but it's the basic principle!!)

Anyway, in answer to your earlier question, the forfour will need water to run! However, you don't really need to worry about it, our's didn't need any before its first service at which point they check it/top it up anyway. Incidently, I have never had any need to top up the water in my fortwo. Good thing to, it is a bugger to get the cap off! For these reasons, I'm not 100% sure where the tank is in the forfour. I think it might be somewhere in the front left area of the engine. I'm willing to stand corrected though!!

By the way - what's up with your alarm?! Our's hasn't gone off yet!!

@JamesMackB

Comment

Hello smartsparky,

Thank you for explaining that... next time I find a reason to open up the bonnet, I'll have a good look around...

That alarm thing... wierd. Basically, while I'm sat in the car with the engine on and running, the alarm would sound. Even while the car is moving and in gear, the alarm would suddenly sound and the lights flash! My understanding is that the unlock function on the remote should disable the alarm? It obviously didn't in my case. The last thing I did was open and close the bonnet - that was the last time I heard that damn alarm (fingers and toes crossed). it seems to be back to normal now... but remains a mystery...

Ken

Comment

Hmm, sounds weird! I don't think that I've heard of that one before!

How long have you had your forfour for (whoa, lots of "4"s! :teeth ? I would let smart have a look at it. They were quite good at the Brentford centre which was my local. When the compressor for the air-con ran out of gas, and when the service indicator started counting down after only doing 2500 miles :eek:, they fixed these for me FOC. There might be something in the programming which may need tweeking to fix your alarm problem. They should be able to do this for you without too much hassle!

@JamesMackB

Comment

There has been a problem with the alarms. If you go back to the main dealer they will re set it for you.

kate

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions - at the moment no problems, so I'll see how it goes!! But the car is due for a service so I might talk to Smart about it then!

I've had it for about 10 months!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X