lights go dim, when the window winds up/down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lights go dim, when the window winds up/down

Everytime that one of the 2 front windows are wound up or down, the lights at the front of the car goes dim. It doesn't appear to be a problem, but is noticeable... anyone else noticed, or is it just my Smart Forfour?

Ken.

Re: lights go dim, when the window winds up/down

Not noticed this with the windows but on my forfour they dim when I'm stopped or crawling (auto)

Comment

I assume we are talking ELECTRIC windows, here

These take a heafty current, try opening them with the cars alternator switched off, ie, battery only, and they will go down slowly and even slower back up.

Due to the limited capacity of a car's alternator, if you start operating a lot of heavy power things at once, like rear heater screen, windows, dip/beam, then you will notice effects like this.

Mind you operating one window with the lights on, while moving & charging alternator, should not cause dimming of dipped/beam lights.

Could be a sign of electric problems, like a duff battery or alternator/circuit not charging battery right, usually shows up in the winter months with poor starting. Batteries dont usualy go bad till after the fourth year onwards.

Comment

Windows use a whole lot a juice, I wouldn't worry!
        Fudge!
        fudge@fudgesmart.co.uk

Engine Rebuilding - sw-exclusive Remaps - TAN Codes - Key Fob Coding - Servicing

All Services Available Mobile, Key Coding Available 24/7

www.fudgesmart.co.uk
        www.sw-x.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Fudge
          Windows use a whole lot a juice, I wouldn't worry!
          I would agree with Fudge on this one, unless you get poor starting problems.

Comment

ill third the above too!!!

Its just a shift of power for a moment. Quite a few cars do this......
            its nothin to worry about.....

Comment

If the engine is running when it does this, do the revs increase slightly (if on tickover)? If so suggests charging sytem is working fine. Wouldnt worry, many cars do same.

Comment

Thanks all, for the comments... I'll go with the "don't worry" approach for the time being... it's just something I've observed, everytime I enter a certain carpark (which shows the reflection of the front of my car).

Also, noticed the same dimming effect, whilst I hit the central locking button!!! ...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X