Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• massive gap...

Hey everyone,

I'm a bit worried about my 1.1 forfour (ok, I'm a nervous owner, I admit it!) because there's this huge gap between the rear left wheel and where teh black tridion is.

You can see some of the metal that is on the inside of the car, next to the wheel. I only saw it this morning on my way to work, so dont have any pictures yet, but I'm quite freaked out as it didnt look right.

Is this a normal thing to happen, or does it sound like my baby has a problem?? Also (and this might just be my imagination, am not certain) but think that the ride may have been getting a bit bumpier in the last few days, maybe even week. Cant think of anythign I've done, but the roads in my area are quite bumpy and a bit pot-holed, but nothing massive. Aargh!

Thanks!:smile:

Calliope
    Last edited by Calliope-Muse; 27-01-06, 11:04 AM.

Re: massive gap...

Hi worried owner, I'm very much the same when it comes to my smart!!!

The forfour is known for its rather big panel gaps. Could you post some pictures so we could see if this is the norm? I myself have not noticed a gap by the tridion and wheel arch on mine, but I have noticed the large gaps between the doors!

Comment

Lol, Rach, glad to meet another anxious owner!

I hadnt noticed the gaps between the doors, but will start checking now! Just got home from work, so am going to be posting pictures in the next little while....

Calliope :smile:

Comment

Ok, that above should be a picture of what it looks like, that's with flash, quite close up

And here it is without flash (please ignore the scratches, that are to my utter shame! mg: )

Ok, maybe I was just being over anxious, but if you could tell me what you think that would be great:smile:

Calliope

Comment

I think that the same incident that caused those scratches also knocked your pannel out a bit!

Comment

The scratches were caused by a rogue lamp-post, with pebbles on it.

Could that have done it? And does it look serious?

Comment

Hi Calliope!

Call me stupid but to you mean the distance between the wheel and the arch or the distance between the tridion and the arch? if you mean the former, it looks normal to me, I am assuming your car is a pulse with the steel wheels. I had one of those as a courtasy car once and it looked similar. My current car is a passion with sport pack which lowers it somewhat and decreases the gap.

Hope this helps and if I am barking up the wrong tree let me know!

Comment

Hello Calliope.

Sorry about your scuff. Street furniture seems to be placed more and more haphazardly these days. It is dangerous out there!mg:

Do you have a photo of the other side just for comparison?

I understand your anxiety. I fitted some air horns to my fortwo which required taking the front panel off. When I put it back together, I was convinced that the panel was sitting lower than previously. I was really worried. It was only until I parked against another fortwo and compared the two that I realised I didn't have anything to worry about!

Interestingly on our forfour, there is a massive gap between the boot and the left light cluster. The whole boot seems to be a bit too far to the right. It works fine though and no leaks. So hopefully, nothing to worry about. :teeth:

@JamesMackB

Comment

It doesn't look like it's too big of a gap to me.

Shame about the scratch though. Why not take too a smart garage and ask their opinion

Comment

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your replies, I think I probably am being a bit paranoid but I need to take Beau into the Smart garage anyway (when I got her she didnt have mats for some weird reason or another) and while I'm there I'll get an opinion on what's going on...

Lol, yes, street furniture is in the most random places! Personally, I think the Council should pay for any damage that their property does to our (ok, a lamp-post is an inanimate object, and i was driving, but that still gives the lamppost no excuse !)

Will get a photo of the other side of the car just to compare the 2...my mum also has a 1.1 black pulse forfour and her gap does look slightly less big, but it's all angle dependant.....(yeah, ok, this is getting a bit obsessive)

Will post up the other pic tomorrow when I can take it in daylight

thanks for all your replies,

Calliope x:smile:

Comment

Hey just to say, went to the dealer (Smart Lakeside) and they thought everything was normal...given that I was only there 3 weeks back about those scratches I felt v. embarassed ... hope I dont need to see the sales guys there for a while, I felt like such a bad woman driver!

Thanks for all your advice

Calliope :smile:

Comment

Hey Calliope! Glad you got it looked at, nothing beats peace of mind :smile:

Comment

Looks fine to me too! We had to re hang the doors as the panel gap in the centre was terrible, looks much better now though!

Kate

Comment

there's a vast amount of gap on my ForFour too even with 17" brabus alloys, it's as if smart fitted really high springs to be on the safe side.

like I say even with my 17" alloys on the gap in the arches looks massive.

should it really be that extreme?

I thinking of having the brabus springs fitted which lower it by 30mm but I reckon there's still gonna be a decent gap left over.

Comment

Originally posted by kaizer
                              there's a vast amount of gap on my ForFour too even with 17" brabus alloys, it's as if smart fitted really high springs to be on the safe side.
                              Its probably so they can then sell you lowering springs or the sport pack to make it look sleeker. There is always a reason!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X