Clunky Softouch in auto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunky Softouch in auto

Hi all! I have a 1.3 softouch four and It seems to clunk into 2nd gear whilst accelerating swiftly from first. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does the ride becomes jerky and theres quite a loud clunk noise as the gear engages. I also find the box quite clunky whilst engaging 1st after starting up the engine, anyone else suffer this?

Thanks!

Re: Clunky Softouch in auto

Sorry I just thought I'd add... it clunks in 'manual' or auto mode! my title was a little misleading!!!

Comment

I'd go back to Smart with it. There are a few problems with the auto box, some can be sorted!

Kate

Comment

It likely needs the automated clutch movement adjusted as its not operating smoothly, and yes, I would agree its a dealer job.

Comment

Thanks guys! I did speak to my dealer but they said they hadn't heared of a forfour that needed adjusting before as the clutch is different to the fortwo and roadster. I guess they are fobbing me off and will get a 2nd opinion!

Comment

Yes, Mine does it just as described. It has been back to the dealership 4 or 5 times for this and is still just the same. Just like the seat height adjustment, they don't seem to know how to cure anything. I am almost at the point of giving up after a total of ten visits to dealer. All to no avail.

Comment

The seat height adjustment is apparently to do with people catching the lever everytime they get in & out of the car , there was a guy who posted how to unscrew the lever & re-position it to cure the problem.

Comment

Rach ....... Mine has exactly the same problem ....... It's booked in for them to look at it on the 9th of may ....... last time they sent a tech bloke out with me and wouldnt you know it .it wouldnt do it ....... but recently it's been doing it more so I'm hoping this time they can feel / hear it and fix it ... if I have any luck I'll let you know what the result is ......

Comment

Mine went in for it but like Bru said.. they couldnt get it to do it.. typical!! Mine seems to have settled down abit... but having said that it DID do it today

Comment

Mine now has a new gearbox motor, still not going into reverse right though!

Kate

Comment

lil.smartie .... you just remindeed me that I hadnt put that bit in my post ...... ( the not going into reverse properly I mean ) ........... sometimes mine just shows "0" in the display and I have to knock it in and out a couple of times before it goes in properly ....... they are also suposed to be looking at that at the same time as the clunk clank thing ....... lol

Comment

you can bet they'll still say they can't get it to do it.

Comment

Well I got a new brake light switch and that doesn't seem to have cured it! That is the thing that causes the probs on fortwos!

Kate

Comment

G'Day
                            I have a 44 with the same problem the Merc dealer has determined that the problem lays with the sensor that monitors the engine speed and the auto change pattern. will be fixed on Monday.

Comment

Could be something to do with the Getrag gearbox. If you look on mini forums the people with Getrag manual boxes complain about clunky 1st to 2nd changes. Unfortunately with our softouch gearboxes you can't slow your change down as it's all done by the computer. When your gearbox is warmer it doesn't seem to do it. It seems the Smart cars are basically flawed and maybe that's why they pulled the plug on the forfour.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X