How to connect aftermarket headunit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to connect aftermarket headunit?

I have mananged to take off the radio 5 unit in my 44, but although the coonnectors look ISO, the aren't working properly when connected. I do get power in my Kenwood headunit to eject CDs, but I think the remote wire from Kenwood is not connected up to the wiring harness of the 44 so it doesn't know to turn on.

Is there a wire I can tap the remote wire onto?

Re: How to connect aftermarket headunit?

try swapping the red and yellow wires

Comment

I don't see how swapping the battery and power wires would make a differnce?

Comment

The remote is an output of the stereo to switch on auxilliary components when the Hu switches on.
        i don't think you want to be hooking this up to the loom in the car.
        Although I have not seen the loom on the forfour, there must be some form of adaptor cable.
        The thing is, in my mind, if it has power to eject the cd, it must have the permanent live feed. but perhaps no switchable. I don't think you should rule out the wire swapping!... albeit it seems to be an answer to everything radio related
        it must be worth a shot.
        or, instead of using the switchable at all... hook up 2 permanent lives from the loom to the HU.
        failing that check the earths.... if in doubt... earth it

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

The remote wire I believe, tells the unit to switch on when ignition key is turned to accessories or engine ignite. This wire is also used to connect to amps and such to tell them to turn on also. Orange is battery (memory so that it keeps settings and radio channels. Red is live feed and black is earth.

The only thing I think that is preventing the unit from turning on is this remote which does need to be connected...but where too?! I purchased a wire harness from bluespotaudio, marketed as for the 44, which seems to be the wire harness for mercedes c class 04+. I have also been told by caraudiosecurity that this is the harness to use, but it does not seem to fit at all!!! I have tried to tap the remote wire into each of the wires in the car's loom, no success either.

Am I missing something out here?

Comment

try swapping the wires as suggested , 99% of all smart audio problems have been down to the red & yellow wires needing to be swapped over.

when I fitted one in my old fortwo it didn't always turn on from starting up & kept loosing the memory , after the wires were swapped over problem solved.

Comment

try looking for the adaptor cable for a forfour!!!!!!!!

It might help if you get the car name right in the first place!:wag:
              sigpic
              DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Comment

Originally posted by messerschmitt owner
                try looking for the adaptor cable for a forfour!!!!!!!!

It might help if you get the car name right in the first place!:wag:
                HUH?? Get the name right? You mean it's not called a Smart ForFour?

Comment

Originally posted by trungn

hes probs getting annoyed just like i was there, best thing to do is TRY what members say 1st then if that doesnt help, then ask more

you havent even tried yet and your saying it wont work, remember we are the ones who have already sorted these problems on the other cars

Comment

wire harness from bluespotaudio, marketed as for the 44,
                    Its forfour, allrite, not 44 :p . Now go swap those wires, and report back

:cup:

Comment

I've tried swapping the red wire with all the other wires in the power connector, but still the same...maybe get power to cd drive, but unit display does not turn on.

Does anyone have the guide from thesmartclub that I can see? I've heard this mentioned and it might have something there that might help...I've registered but can take up to 3 days to process?
                      Last edited by trungn; 16-05-06, 04:14 PM.

Comment

You swapped the red wire with all of them?! You might have blown a fuse (or the head unit!).

Comment

yep I'd check the fuse now and, if there's one in the HU I'd check that too.
                          sigpic
                          DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Comment

Nah...all fuses ok, in car and both HU

Comment

Does anyone have the guide from thesmartclub that I can see? I've heard this mentioned and it might have something there that might help...I've registered but can take up to 3 days to process?
                              thesmartclub has a members area where things like this and other stuff is explained. Now dont ask me why why one of the words in last sentence is in bold letters :p .
                              I've tried swapping the red wire with all the other wires in the power connector,
                              Now, how stupid is that? You never thought you may shortcircuit / blow sumtin beyond repair by doing that . Were you told you may get lucky, or what? Why do you at all care to ask if you dont listen to advice given :eek: ?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X