X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tappetty tapping noise Brabus ForFour

...coming from under bonnet.

Hi Guys and Girls!

It's really starting to annoy me now. I am obsessive about noises that shouldn't be there after suffering big time with my previous few french cars...grrrrr!!

If anyone knows what the tappets sound like when there's not enough oil in the engine then thats what the sound is like, but I have checked the oil and it is fine.

It went through its first service about a month ago and had an oil filter and oil change so its not that.

My nearest Smart dealer is 45 miles away and so I would like to pick brains before I trundle up there.

I also have a problem with getting it into first and reverse gears sometimes? anyone else had this problem, whilst I am posting ?

Cheers dears

Jan

Re: Tappetty tapping noise Brabus ForFour

To be honest, I think I have OCD about noises in my car, and I went on for ages about a tappet noise in the roadster.
    it *might* just be the injectors, they make a sort of fast and regular clicking noise.
    I am still not convinced, but everyone got bored of my make belief problem! lol.

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

Definitly the injectors. Perfectly normal, especially on a C2 VTR!

Comment

thanx for the info buds,

strange that I never noticed it before, but then I have got my windows open all the time...........as long as its normal I don't mind, its the non-normal noises that bug me
        Last edited by smart-e-pants; 21-06-06, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Do you abnormal noises? :-)

Comment

with regards to reverse gear it seems a common thing on the forfour.

i do struggle to get into certain gears sometimes but i think thats more to do with me rather than the car.

i also get a bit paranoid of noises in my brabus but most are innocent ones ( such as the zips at the back of the front seats clinking non stop )

Comment

Hmmmm yes I do mean ABnormal noises I hust couldna be bothered to type it as its easier to type non than ab lol

I agree my brabus does seem to have a lot of rattles, but I can handle the ones like the zips on the seat covers rattling, and my ket fob knocking against the dash. I guess its cos the stiffened, lowered feel to the car makes them 'normal'.

if the tappety noise is indeed the injectors (which is what my other 'alf reckoned it was) I can handle that too.

But i reckon I too have OCD about rattles. When you live for years with cars (both new and old) that have rattles that aren't supposed to be there and only YOU seem to be able to hear you do get a bit obsessive compulsive

Comment

I struggle with reverse in mine sometimes. i'm gonna mention it at the next service just to cover myself.

Comment

I'm convinced my BRABUS suffers from piston slap on occasion. smart of course don't agree.

Comment

The roadster makes all kinds of odd noises... I just ignore them unless a new one crops up...

I also got focused on the "tappet" noise on nearly all of my cars. But have been assured that it is fine.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X