Reverse Gear Crunch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Gear Crunch

Just got a Forfour as a work runaround a few weeks ago, love it!

Only problem is with the reverse gear crunching. Know a few posts have been put here before about this, anybody know of a solution? Dealer have said I have to wait 5 seconds after pressing clutch before engaging reverse but that sounds like a load of :censor:

We are looking at buying a second one for the office but keen to know if this can be fixed before we have 2 crunching gearboxes to deal with! :newbie:

Re: Reverse Gear Crunch

They are all like this, its because there isnt a synchromesh on reverse gear. Sorry.

Comment

lol, sadly, you will not win... everyone will stare at you as you crunch away! I shouldn't laugh.

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

at least they dont leak like another smart car..

Comment

Originally posted by s2trash
          at least they dont leak like another smart car..
          But I can sit in my soggy leather seats and everyone else is in blissful ignorance

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

untill they smell the damp wool when you walk into your office

Comment

Originally posted by forfourblue
              Just got a Forfour as a work runaround a few weeks ago, love it!

Only problem is with the reverse gear crunching. Know a few posts have been put here before about this, anybody know of a solution? Dealer have said I have to wait 5 seconds after pressing clutch before engaging reverse but that sounds like a load of :censor:

We are looking at buying a second one for the office but keen to know if this can be fixed before we have 2 crunching gearboxes to deal with! :newbie:
              The reverse gear even crunches with the tiptronic gearbox as well! It is rubbish!

@JamesMackB

Comment

Thanks for all your comments. I cant believe the crunching is normal. Its a great car otherwise. Seems like Smart should have worked a bit harder to solve this problem. I have never known any other car to do this as "standard".

Still think I'm going to harass the dealer to replace the gearbox, especially if they want to sell me a 2nd one.

Comment

Originally posted by smartsparky
                  The reverse gear even crunches with the tiptronic gearbox as well! It is rubbish!
                  So do the forward ones at times

Comment

Lol yip my bf was out at the car the day tryin to fix it i keep tellin him it can't b fixed but he doesnt belive me tipical its worse when ur in a car park u wait till no ones about b4 puttin it in reverse lol well i do

Comment

I had this problem with my ford focus, the easiest way to stop the crunch is:

1. take it out of a forward gear and into neutral
                      2. Bring up the clutch.
                      3. Push down the clutch and engage reverse.

Bringing up the clutch in neutral spins the gears and gets the reverse in sync with the selector... (it's a technique called double de-clutching).

Comment

Got the clutch replaced under warranty and its fine now. You just need to be persistant with the dealers!

Comment

A lot of other cars crunch before going into reverse becasue of the syncro. Enagage first, then find Reverse, should be crunch free then!

Comment

i just got my brabus back from smart and was told the crunch was normal, as was the tapping fuel injectors. they changed a belt as I was getting a squeal after switching off car, still getting the squeal. its going back in September for the suspension to be sorted too..........hmmmmmm we'll see what else crops up before then.

still doesn't mean I don't love it tho

Comment

Surely it's fine if you give it a couple of seconds to slow before dropping it into reverse?
                              Same with any gearbox really, you can't just drop it into reverse while the engine's still revving!

I had a forfour 1.5d for two weeks and I have to say, I didn't notice a problem at all...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X