Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving a diesel - daft questions....

Hi
    Got my new Forfour CDI (95) - just wanted some advice as never driven a diesel before. Does a diesel usually prefer lower gears - just that car seems happiest in 3rd at 30 rather than fourth - it then revs at about 2000. Any other advice on diesel driving also welcome. Oh, one last thing - when the engine starts there is quite a jolt, ame when it goes off - is this normal. Other than that car incredibly smooth and quiet.

Thanks
    Alton

Re: Driving a diesel - daft questions....

Not owning a diesel forfour I couldn't tell you for certain but from my experience with other diesels they tend to thrive on lower revs so being in 3rd at 30mph rather than 4th I would think is normal + acceleration is obviously better in the lower gear.

In my petrol brabus I tend to sit in 3rd for most of time while city driving, the car does not sound strained or struggles to pull , I know 4th gear would be better for fuel economy but I just prefer the performance 3rd gear allows.

Comment

SUrely if it prefers lower revs then you should change up to 4th quicker. My last car was a small diesel and it had most of it's power starting at 2000rpm when the turbo kicked in

Not having driven a forfour diesel i wouldn't know exatcly how to drive it, but i would think it'd prefer being in 4th at 30mph

sev!

Comment

hi i drive a diesel auto it changes to 4th about 35mph

Comment

Drive it the same as you would a petrol car.....just at lower revs!
          The diesel will have a lot more torque (pulling power) from lower revs than an equivalant petrol engine..................but that doesn't mean you should let it struggle from 1000rpm in top!.........You should soon get used to where it pulls best from, but dont be afraid of revving it when you want to get a move on, modern diesels can handle a lot more revs than they could a few years ago!

Comment

3rd at 30 sounds about right. You will find that it has grunt right through the revs! Fab choice!

Kate

Comment

Thanks guys it is fab to drive and sooooo quiet for a diesel - was surprised and it seems a lot faster than my roadster. BTW in the handbook it shows a plastic cover over the diesel engine but mine doesn't have one and nor did another one i saw at the dealers - i assume this is normal??

Comment

It is normal for a RHD one, some pants about where cables are routed compared to a LHD one!

Kate

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X