HID Beam Pattern ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID Beam Pattern ???

Tony (J500ANT) may know the answer to this but if anyone else has any experience please let me know ??

I fitted today a HID Headlight conversion kit to my Brabus ( bloody hell was it fiddly to do !!! ) , As it was daylight when I fitted them I couldn't test them out properly to see how the performed so after playing football tonite I got the chance to use them for the drive home.

Seeing as I've never owned a car with HID's before I wasn't really sure what to expect, It looked nice & bright on the road in front of me but I noticed that as I drove down a country lane the hedges on either side of the road were also partially lit up by the HID's , now is this normal behaviour of HID lights as 'm a little concerned it's not supposed to be like that & that i'll end up blinding drivers on the other side of the road?

I know the headlight stalk on the steering wheel has a headlight adjustment switch which I have tried but this just tilts the beam lower to the floor, the halogen headlights were always left as default ( 0 ) so should the HID's be left at 0 too or do I need to adjust ?

Tony do you happen to have any pics of your fitted HID's at night shining against a wall / garage door so i could compare the pattern of the beam with mine ?

Many thanks guys for your help

Phil

Re: HID Beam Pattern ???

The headlight pattern and spray that you see is normal. You might be able to adjust some of it out but I doubt that it will get all that much better. It is honestly not as bad as it looks. Normal bulbs also spray out like this too but its just that because the bulbs are so weak you dont see or notice it as much. If you start to get loads of other drivers flash you it means you will need to adjust your beams but I hardly ever get flashed at all.

My cars have never had problems passing MOT's either.

Do you ever go to the meet in Lichfield on Wednesdays Kaizer? I have never been myself. Might see you there one week!!

Comment

You could take it to an MOT test station and ask them to adjust your lights for you...

Comment

When I fitted mine to my Fortwo I had had the same problem the light was very high up on the shrubs on the lef side and high up on rear of cars passing by (Mway) Loads of drivers flashing their lights at me had to manually adjust them

Comment

Well it was a 15 min journey back from footy last night & I didn't get flashed once, it's difficult to tell from the drivers seat how the beam looks outside the car.

My old man has a BMW with HID & I can't remember how they look from the drivers seat but IIRC they seemed to light up more of the road in front than the kit fitted to mine.

Don't get me wrong they do light up a small patch of road in front but doesn't seem to look anything like pics i've seen on the net of fitted HID's.

Ultrawong : yeah I do go to the lichfield meet from time to time but it's always random when I can make it.

Comment

OT but, any effect on the radio reception? Looking to get a kit for my roadie and would like ot be able to hear the radio at night.

Comment

I couldn't really comment on the radio part as I barely listen to it but the radio was on for the 15 min drive home last night & I don't recall hearing any interference or encountering any problems.

Tony (J500ANT) had told me of a problem he encountered when he fitted his which required the kit to be wired to the battery via a relay , I haven't got this problem on my kit as it's a newer kit where the bug has be sorted out.

As they have only been on for 15 mins so far I suppose I need to get a few hours use out of them first to see if I come across any issues but so far so good apart from the concern of the beam pattern.

I may take it somewhere to get checked, my only problem is how fiddly & cramped the headlight bays are now that if they do need adjusting the mechanic is gonna struggle to get the bits back in.

Comment

Right I got my first flash from a driver on the other side of the road tonite , when I got home I crouched down in front of the car with the lights on (i was a few meters away) & they looked fine & didn't dazzle my eyes , then I tried standing away & to the side (as if I was a car on the other side of the road) & found that the light is bouncing off the headlight reflector & blinding me.

so I take it i'm gonna need the headlights adjusting somehow, any clues on how to do it manually (is it just a case of grabbing the lamp & twisting it slightly or is there special equipment involved ?

I ask because I know what a hassle it was getting all the wires in for the HID first time round.

Comment

In terms of adjusting the lights left to right I dont think there is a way to do it since the reflectors are fixed on this axis, can only really adjust the height of the beam, Look at the headlight unit through the service grill, you will see a hexagonal hole that takes a allen key cant remember which hole it was but turning this will adjust the height.

Need to redo mine as they are aiming too low at the moment

Comment

was there a solution ever for this problem??

sorry if its been answered already on another site

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

Originally posted by problemchild1976 View Post
                      was there a solution ever for this problem??

sorry if its been answered already on another site

JJ
                      Yeah it turned out I hadn't fully clipped in the 1 bulb properly LOL

Comment

haha!! thats funny!!

i'll let you know how my fitting goes........................

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X