Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving down the A1(M) at 70 MPH - driveshaft disengages

Hi everyone:newbie:

I'm a prolific watcher to this forum, just not a prolific poster - this is my first...

If anyone knows a bit about cars and can shed some light, I'd be really grateful

First of all I own an 05 plate Smart ForFour BRABUS, taking my wife to her mothers's yesterday I was driving down the A1(M) - a journey I do twice a day at least - just pulled into the slow lane doing about 65/70 and basically for a split second I thought I'd dropped the car into neutral (even though my hand was nowhere near the gear stick), looking again I could see the gear stick in the '5th' position.

So, I pulled onto the hard shoulder and stopped - the engine was still ticking over, so I turned it off and back on again - it started no trouble (just like it's done every day since I bought it).

Stuck it in first gear and tried to pull away and nothing !! - the car revs but doesn't move - just like your gunning the accelerator with the car in neutral, i tried every other gear to see if I could pull away and the same result.

My wife and I both quickly came to the same conclusion that we were ****ed, if you pardon my French. So, we immediately phoned Smart Assistance and a little under an hour later we had been 'flatbedded' off the motorway and taken back home, which luckily was only 2 miles from where the problem occured.

The recovery guy then offloaded my car and did a cursory inspection of the electronics and declared that the problem must reside with either the clutch or the gears..............I, myself tend to agree.

Actually I would lean more towards the 'clutch' as being the culprit as this was replaced almost exactly 1 month earlier because of a problem that I have read about numerous times on this forum, the ForFour 'crunchy gear' problem - this was happening in my car ALL the time in 1st and reverse gear and Smart of York, in their infinite wisdom declared the problem was with the clutch rather than the gears and consequently replaced it under warranty.

The car goes to Smart of Stockton on Monday to be looked at

So - can anyone shed some more light on what they might think the problem is ?

Oh, one more thing - I've gone a bit past my 1st service time limit because as BRABUS owners will know - the engine oil has to be replaced every 10,000 KMH's and when my car went in to have this done, the technician reset the sevice clock - after I pointed this out later the service guy said just deduct 7000 miles from the service interval figure given and that's when the first service is due - I've gone bit past that, my cars done 16,200 miles now - you see I've been working away and my wife's been driving the car and well, I neglected to tell her what happened !!

Do you think this will have a bearing on them repairing the car under warranty ? -after all it was their fault that the clock was reset, or do you think that this 'warranty' issue has no bearing on the 'clutch/gear' problem ?

well, thank you for listening - hope I haven't bored you and I'm looking forward to your responses

Best regards

John (North East)

Re: Driving down the A1(M) at 70 MPH - driveshaft disengages

John,

Sorry to hear of your embrassment of breaking down on the motorway. It is never good when that happens.

Firstly, a quick question - when you move the gear stick from neutral to gears does it display 1 or 0 in the dash? If it displays 0 all the time, then you have a problem with the gearbox. forfours are notorious for this problem and my mum has had the same thing on her 05 Passion. Can you hear the gears trying to engage or is it just silence? Try Neutral to Reverse - that is the noisest one!

smart are aware aware of this problem but they will try their damned hardest not to replace the gearbox under warranty - it is v expensive for them!

If you can hear the gears engage, but no bite when you touch the accelarator, then the clutch may be the culprit.

Either way, you will have to really push smart into doing something about it - there isn't really that long left before you car is out of warranty and things might get expensive.

With regards to the service interval - it shouldn't be a problem. The gearbox is pretty fundamental and they don't do anything to that in a service anyway! Might help your argument not to mention it though...

:goodlk: in your battle!

@JamesMackB

Comment

Hi - thanks for your reply !

It's a manual box not a semi-auto...but - when you you move thru the gears you can hear sounds from the linkage below.

Also if you let the clutch out when in gear - the car does not stall, there's just a sort of low rattling sound from below.

You mentioned about there being no bite - that's correct, when you go to pull away in first gear - it's as if you have tried to pull away in neutral.

Thanks again

Best

John

Comment

Doh! I forgot about the manual ones!! :redface:

Interesting. So if you can hear the gear linkage - and it feels okay (?) - then it must be the clutch.

Either way, thump the table with smart and demand that you get it fixed ASAP but also that they fix it well...

@JamesMackB

Comment

Hi James

Yes - I can hear the linkage and surprisingly it does 'feel' OK - but as i said before, If you put the car into gear then release the clutch - nothing happens (the car doesn't stall), there's just a weird noise from below....

My wife was talking to her uncle who professes to know a little bit about cars and he thinks it might be the clutch plate come lose ?!?

Does this sound right ?

Best

John

Comment

Well that definately sounds like the clutch unless someone else on here can shed any light on what else it could be. As you say, you are changing the gears fine but there is a problem between linking these to the engine - i.e. the clutch. When you engage the clutch, the grinding noise would indicate that it is not very well.

It's still one for smart to fix. FOC of course.

@JamesMackB

Comment

Hi

Well - If anyone's interested

The problem with my car is the driveshaft snapped on one side of the car, well - that's according to Smart of Stockton.

It's obviously covered by warranty - so, to me that's what matters the most.

But, I think I will ring tomorrow and find out a little bit more about this - when I think back, the service guy was acting a little 'cagey'....

Best

John

Comment

ouch !!! sounds bad but im glad ur getting it sorted & good job its under warrenty cud have ended up expensive

Keep us all posted

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X