Electronic throttle control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic throttle control

Is it just me or does anyone else find the ETC difficult to deal with? When changing gear there is a sharp rise in rpm followed by a lag. Is this a common problem(I've driven 3 of these cars and I found all 3 were the same)? Can this be corrected in any way?.
    Malvolio

Re: Electronic throttle control

I think we have to face facts the system is rubbish and mercedes and mitsubishi ought to be ashamed of themselves. I drive mine manual most of the time and stick it in auto when I get fed up.

Comment

You can get a software upgrade that'll help the gear change, go into a merc/smart dealer and ask.

Comment

Had the software upgrade when I had the B service. Yes there was a marginal improvement, but you rapidly become accustomed to it and realise that the system is still not good enough. If you look at all the motoring reviews they all say that the auto mode is too jerky and the colt ones as well. I stand by what I said before and also wonder why mercedes pulled the plug on the forfour. I've had convential general motors automatics and two CVTs and would say this forfour transmission is a joke. If I'd had this car for a test drive for a couple of days it would be still on the dealers forecourt alongside the other one they don't seem to be able to sell.

Comment

I don't actually have a problem with the gearchange I find it quite smooth, though not being able to "coast" can get annoying in certain situations, but you'd get those with any auto I suppose

Comment

Well it's obvious you really love your forfour and your pictures are excellent. I'm quite fond of mine, but just feel a bit cheated because it could have been so much better. It's not a true auto though it's an automated manual car. You can't drive it as a true auto though and it needs a bit of care. This crawl mode is really only for use on the flat. If you're on a slight gradient when you take your foot off the brake there's a lag before it cuts in and you roll back. Slightly steeper or more and it's not there at all so you're in danger of running back very quickly if you try to hold the car on the throttle. You've got to have that hand on the handbrake at a lot of junctions or you'll roll back into someone.
            Also trying to get onto a roundabout it seems to stop dead going into second leaving you feeling exposed. Why is when this car changes gear you feel it decelerate you don't get that in a manual you drop the clutch and the car keeps going while you change. With the forfour change you feel your head nodding while it slows changes gear and surges ahead again. Couple all this with the fact that people are actually driving these cars with problems that agents don't seem to be able to fix and no wonder there's so many posts on here. Mine's going in soon for a new clutch actuator so hopefully that might do some good. I've had two incidents of juddering so something is not right somewhere.

Comment

G'Day from OZ
              I had a long conversation with DC to day re my pocket rocket and they said the clutch actuator is the problem and are fitting an upgraded number just off the boat, so I am hoping that that will fix the problem. Will keep you posted on the continuing saga of the smart box.

Comment

Oh the joys of owning a Manual Brabus.

After owning in the past a City Coupe & Roadster (both well known for horrid semi-auto boxes) I had no desire to own a forfour with a semi-auto box so when I had my 1.5 passion I specified a manual box, then when I had my brabus I knew they were only manual so that pleased me.

Could you just imagine a semi-auto version of the brabus?, the 0 to 60 would probably take a second or 2 longer.

Merc do know how to make excellent semi-auto boxes but they'd rather shove a cheaper alternative in the smart range.

I wonder what the 2007 fortwo's box is gonna be like ??

Comment

Well bully for you mate!! Some of us like autos and having paid a lot of money to a Mercedes subsidiary expect to get a decent product. Most of us spend a lot of time in traffic around town and appreciate a bit of luxury. I could say why does anyone want to own a 177bhp car and worry about taking a second or two longer to get to 60.

Comment

However, the people who have been sold "Autos" dont have "Autos" they have automated manual gearboxes and these are never as good as a proper auto. Unless its a DSG like the Altea TDi we also have

Comment

suggest you read my earlier posts in this thread

Comment

Originally posted by basilbrush
                        Well bully for you mate!! Some of us like autos and having paid a lot of money to a Mercedes subsidiary expect to get a decent product. Most of us spend a lot of time in traffic around town and appreciate a bit of luxury. I could say why does anyone want to own a 177bhp car and worry about taking a second or two longer to get to 60.
                        Firstly pal !!!

less of the sarcasm ! , Where in my post did I make any comment of someone's choice of gearbox other than my own?

Secondly why don't you just return or sell the bloody car coz you've not shut up moaning about it, If you want a better semi-auto then buy a better car with one, if you'd have done your research you would have known that Smart are not well known for their smooth gearboxes.

as for why someone would want to own a 177bhp car?, isn't it obvious?, maybe because that person likes the power & speed.

Comment

power and speed. Yes loved all that when I was a teenager. Hospital food was rubbish and that's why I like auto's. Left ankle still not right.

Comment

In terms of the gearboxx, the auto is a bit rubbish, but, it does not put me off the car in any way shape or form. I keep it in semi-auto most of the time, and that i can change gear most of the time smoothly. Yes, there is a delay, however you get used to it. As people have said (and it is not a hidden fact) that Smarts gearbox is slow, but, you can adapt to both auto and semi automatic.

Comment

yes you're entirely right Andy the car is great just the gearbox the achilles heel. I find it best to use manual from a standing start and instead on going into fourth I knock it into auto. I then leave it in auto and if I have to come to a standstill again I knock the lever over to manual and start process over. I find the manual changes in the lower gears fine if I let it rev a bit higher. The auto mode seems to change up too early.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X