Replacing the passenger side window?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the passenger side window?

Hi, my ForFour got broken into today the passenger side window was smashed and the TomTom sat nav was nicked

Anyway, has anyone had any experience in replacing the passenger side window? tutorial would be nice off to merc for some new glass on Monday.

Oh yeah, and if anyone has a TomTom, dont leave the sucker thing in the window, sounds obvious after the fact but your car is a target if you leave it in
    Last edited by xBrabus; 20-10-06, 01:16 PM. Reason: Figured out how to do the job :)

Re: Replacing the passenger side window?

Your car is a target even if you have the sucker mark still left on the windscreen. Always remove the holder, wipe the windscreen and take the satnav out of the car.

In fact, take everything out of the car or lock it in the boot.

Satnav thefts are the new thing.

Comment

yup i know that now oh well the sweet irony is my tomtom was broken anyway. broken window is annoying tho

Comment

Although I personally can't see what's wrong in buying a map for a few quid it seems you just can't leave anything about these days. The manufacturers of these satnavs should have put some form of disabling device in as should the mobile phone manufacturers. Of course when one is nicked somebody will feel obliged to replace it and another one will be sold. Maybe this sideglass in this instance will be covered by the glass section of the insurance policy??
        Anyway if it was me I wouldn't bother replacing the satnav I'd be frightened to leave the car anywhere with it.

Comment

xBrab don't forget to do the tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by basilbrush
            The manufacturers of these satnavs should have put some form of disabling device in as should the mobile phone manufacturers.
            MY Garmin will only switch on at my home location, or I have to enter a PIN... So, why do they get nicked, as they are useless to anyone else if the security feature is enabled?.... Do they take them on the off chance that it is not security enabled?

However I do agree.... Never leave any sign of such equipment when leaving your car!!

Mike.

Comment

Security features aren't standard on all sat navs!

Comment

New glass and for the passenger side window is gonna arrive thursday along with a new plastic piece for the rear passenger window (got screw drivered when the thief tried the back window first and found it wouldnt break).

So i'll probably have a tutorial up on here by the weekend, maybe with some photos if everything goes well so if someone else goes through the same thing maybe it will help.

Amazingly the glass at the front was £29 and the plastic at the back was almost £50!!! Not worth bothering the insurance company really. Plus fitting everything myself will assure me that no glass will be left inside the door like i've had friends take cars to the garage to be fixed only to have a few shards of glass rolling around the door for ever more.

Oh yeah and the people at TomTom wernt that fussed, no support at all. i'll probably look into a satnav for the mobile phone or something so it never gets left in the car and never leaves a trace that a thief could use to assume theres any worth breaking in.

Comment

Door taken apart and glass fitted!!!!

Finally figured the workings of the door and have fitted the glass without problems I've taken photos throughout the job and have put a little gallery together to give big hints for others.

The gallery will also help people replacing the outer door panels, replacing the wing mirror and door handle as these all have to come off.

I'll write a good description of the process at the weekend to go with the pictures, but in the mean time: http://www.christest.com/forfour/

Comment

SMART ForFour Guide

As promised heres my SMART ForFour Guide, please repost this guide with changes or more detail if you want

Fitting a new window / Removing outer plastic door panel.

Tools required:

Torx bits - T20, T25, T30.
                    A couple of flat head screw drivers and a brush

Photos can be found at http://www.christest.com/forfour/

Removing the wing mirror.

Open the door and pull the rubber cover off the wing mirror adjuster. Un-tighten the metal piece releasing the stork. Carefully pull the plastic cover off, pulls off upwards over plastic ring things, should come off after some careful pulling.

Once off try and locate the 3 screws holding the wing mirror on. There are 2 at the bottom and 1 at the top. They’re hidden at first behind the foam but you can locate them with your finger and pull the foam back enough to unscrew.

Disconnect the lead for the indicator.

Once unscrewed you should be able to wiggle the wing mirror and it should come off. Once the mirror is off put it somewhere safe!

Removing the door handle.

Open the door and locate a small plastic piece just about the door’s lock. Now carefully use a screwdriver to prize this out, it will bend quite a bit but shouldn’t break. Once off this will reveal a screw holding the handle on. Remove this and then the door handle slides away towards the rear of the car. Allow the handle to dangle, should be ok.

Removing the outer plastic door panel

Locate the 3 plastic clips at the hinges of the door; you can use a screwdriver to unclip the clips or strong fingers. There is a forth funny looking clip too which will unclip once you have done the others or if it doesn’t unclip do it yourself.

Have a look where the wing mirror came off, you will see another screw that has been revealed. Unscrew this.

Wind the window down (if you have one). Remove outer rubber window seal, should just pull off.

Now the panel is held on only by 3 clips at the top of the door where you removed the rubber that if you squeeze the top of the panel inwards to the car will pop one of the clips off, do this for the others. This can be quite tedious as they can pop in and out while you struggle.

Once all unclipped comes the time where two people are a help. There is very little space to get the door panel off but can be done! Have one person wiggle the door panel while another watches and helps unclip the door from near the hinges inside the car. Its pretty straight forward but space is a little tight.

You should now have one panel in your hands!

Replacing the glass.

If your window was broken like mine then clean the glass out of the door, if you don’t then when you close your door you will hear crunching glass forever more. Check the from of the window and all rubbers for glass.

Un-tighten the screws on the clamps holding the remains of the glass. Clear the glass up.

Set the window in the furthest down position.

Unpack you new piece of glass and slide down through the window down past the mechanism and down to the clamps. Push the glass flush with the back of the window frame and rest the glass on the rubber stops. Tighten the clamp screws and see if the window closes, should be perfect. Once your happy your job is done and you just have to replace everything back to how it was! Just follow the instructions in reverse ☺

Comment

Thanks for your advice on how to change the passenger's side window. I found your messages and photos very helpful. Do you have any information related to Mercedes A class.

Thanks

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X