forfour gearbox problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forfour gearbox problems

I've been having a few problems getting my Manual forfour into reverse gear for a while now and it has been steadily getting worse.

I decided that as my cars warranty was up in November and it was due a service i would take it to a main dealer to have it serviced (£298!!!!) and mention the gearbox problems.

later in the day i get a phone call from the garage saying i need a new gearbox and my warranty had run out on the Oct 12 (oh :censor:, i checked my documents and found that they were indeed correct to my horror). They said they would put a uskulab claim in to see if they could get smart to pay for the new gearbox.

Well i'm getting a new gearbox at a cost of £1800 and i have got to pay £98.02 towards the cost which i don't think is too bad.

The moral of this story - Check when your warranty runs out!!!

The forfour is known to have a bit of a dogey reverse gear so i'll let everyone know if it makes a difference or not.

Re: Forfour gearbox problems

£98.02... what an odd figure! How'd they work that one out?

Still not bad price-wise, but that is horrendous having a gearbox fail after 2 years!!

Comment

98.02 was 25% of the total labour figure.

With me paying something towards the gearbox i'm told (by the garage) that i get a further 2 years warranty on it.

Comment

I would hope so! Shocking!

Comment

Sorry posted in the wrong section could somebody move it into the correct one please.

Comment

Hi .....

Bad news aout the gearbox going and that price for a new one is frightening ..... but ...... full marks to your dealer for the claim and doing it in such a way that yhou get the box covered for a further 2 years .

Comment

Re: forfour gearbox problems

Having my gearbox replaced next week, 12 months/12000 miles old!
              It has become noisy in 1st and 2nd gears in slow traffic.

Comment

I had a new gearbox @ 5000miles. Had to fight for that too! I'm glad i'm selling my forfour before the warranty expires to be honest.

Comment

The way Smart are going having not fixed my auto-gearbox which hasn't been working right for almost a year now they will be extending my warranty past December!

Kate

Comment

Does anyone know what the problem is with the Forfour and reverse? Smart UK technical department wont interface with customers but I'm sure they know what the problem is and how to fix it.

Mine started refusing to select reverse at about 8000 miles and steadily got worse. Very dodgy trying a three point turn or driving into a space where the only way is to reverse out! Not a good avert for Smart to see an owner having to manually reverse the car ie push, before driving off!

I had a software upgrade which solved the problem, but since it went in for service and they carried out some service upgrades, the problem has reapppeared. Smart have now started replacing bits like the ESP controller, but to no effect. I still have a part time reverse gear.

Anyone out there who has had the problem and got it fixed? What did they do?

Comment

Originally posted by Brabster
                      Having my gearbox replaced next week, 12 months/12000 miles old!
                      It has become noisy in 1st and 2nd gears in slow traffic.
                      Gearbox replaced, all seems to be well, certainly smoother changes than with the original 'box. Time will tell..................................

Comment

Thanks - I'm now just out of warrenty so a new gearbox might be an expensive option.

There is a post in the technical section of forfourowners.com that suggests that Smart have released a software upgrade that fixes 95% of the gearbox problems.

I hope my forfour isn't one of the 5% that can't be fixed with the upgrade. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

For the manual gearbox try the following trick to get in reverse: when stationary, get it in the 3rd gear, and then in reverse. It should work, the reverse gear problem is well known, also for the Mitsubishi Colt (same gearboxes&engines).

Comment

My semi-auto has just had a new clutch, don't know if it's fixed cos they managed to split an alloy wheel whilst they had it!

Kate

Comment

Hi, I'm new here and my pops is having some problems with his 44 brabus and I was wondering if you can help?

1st/2nd gear under hard acceleration it makes a real banging noise from the front, what problem would this indicate? its been checked by merc who reccon its alright but if you ppl think its not I'll get him to take it back and press for a new gearbox before warranty expires.

its done about 11900 miles btw.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X