Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Gear

Hi there,

I am thinking of buying a smart car so I've been reading the reviews on different sites. On whatcar it says that the forfour has a jerky automatic gearbox. I am assuming that this is only true for the full automatic programmme or is the semi-auto jerky also?

Secondly what does "Soft touch", "Soft tip" stand for?

Thanks for reading.

Re: Automatic Gear

I've not experienced a ForFours automatic gearbox, but, I've had both a ForTwo and Roadster, and I honestly don't think it's too jerky. It's not designed as a Ferrari like gearbox with slick smooth gear changes, it's made for city driving (well, the ForTwo is anyway)

Just my 2 cents.

Softtip is what smart call the automatic gearbox allowing you to change up and down by pushing the gearstick forward or back (how the got the name for it I suppose) and softtouch is a button the the side of the gearstick that allows you to change from semi auto to fully auto.
    Last edited by bennyx_o; 04-11-06, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Like Benny, I've not driven ForFour, but I guess it's not a lot different to the ForTwo.
      Firstly it must be pointed out the the smart gearbox is not a true automatic box, it is like a manual box with a electically controlled actuator which changes gear.
      The full automatic mode (softtouch) is a bit notchy, but improves as you get used to it and adjust your driving manner.
      In semi automatic mode (softtip) the gear change is a bit smoother, but, again improves with driver 'adjustments'.
      Remapping the engine also improves the jerkiness of the gear changing.

Mike.

Comment

The jerkyness of the gearbox is usually down to inexperience with it, it can be jerky but you soon learn to smooth it out (remember most journos only have the cars a couple of days max)

If you get one youll find that the jerkyness disappears within a week lol

Comment

so have fun jerkin off...so to speak

Comment

The journalists probably also compare it to other tiptronic gearboxes, which will more than likely be in the VW Golf GTI, Audi TT, and the likes of Ferrari, which have much better systems, but much bigger cars.

Comment

Well I would say if anybody likes automatics and buys one of these they will be disappointed. A fantastic car that is really spoilt by this horrible box. I use mine in manual mode now which is good and put it in auto when I get lazy. When I drive
              my wife's 11 year old auto tigra I know what I'm missing.

Comment

Is driving the car in auto mode better for mpg as you are driving the car how it wants to drive?

Comment

Most people seem to report lower MPG when using automatic

Comment

Well all I can say is that it depends on your right foot. If you drive the car like a district nurse in auto it's probably at it's smoothest and most economical. Anyway honestly if you're buying this car then the fuel economy won't be your first priority. It's expensive to buy and expensive to service and when you drive any car you drive it how you feel comfortable within the law hopefully. It's a shame about this car really, it could have been a good CVT or a conventional auto. I think mercedes just wanted it to be too much like the fortwo.
                    Judging by how quick Mercedes pulled the plug on it I think they realised their mistake and paid a lot of money to Mitsi to get out. Also if you have a really good look at this forum we aren't doing too well in the reliability stakes are we?

Comment

all cars in full auto mode use more gas

Comment

not strictly speaking true. A conventional automatic with a torque converter will waste energy as will a CVT. These automated manual transmissions like the forfour's can be more economical than a straightforward manual box.

Comment

G'Day English smarties. I have had my auto forfour for 3 month now and have done some 9000kms, yes it is a bit jerky at crawl speeds especially if cold, the more you stick the welly in the better. I am getting 6.3lt/100km's on average city/country driving in full auto mode. I find it to be a fun machine to drive and love the manual feel to the changes. I have been driving slush box auto's for 35 years, it dose take some getting use-to. :goodlk: :silvertri

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X