HID headlights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID headlights

i am considering buying a set of HID headlight but am put off slightly buy horror storys of them melting the headlight cover! any advise on this? also what are the diffrence between a £70 set from ebay and a £250 from most internet sites?

Re: HID headlights

They won't melt the headlight covers, HID's run cooler !!

With some of the budget kits you may expirence radio interference.

With Hid's you get what you pay for, If you pay £70 its going to be a budget kit. Saying that £500 for the PIA kit seems well over the top for headlights.

Comment

I bought a set from HIDS4U for about £250 that was a couple of months ago, although they were a pain to fit they look excellent.

The only slight issue you may have is that coz of how much juice it requires to first fire up the HID's if you start the car then turn on the headlights the engine will stall (J500ANT can probably explain better).

Tony (J500ANT) fixed this problem by having the HID's wired directly to the cars battery, I have the engine stalling issue but have found that if you turn on the headlights before you get in the car (by pressing the unlock button on the remote twice) then start the engine then turn the headlights on as you normally would then it doesn't cause the car to stall.

I do keep meaning to get it wired to battery like Tony but :

a : my local auto electrician wants £120, what a rip off !

b : the lights were such a pain to fit first time round I'd rather they be left alone for the time being.

All in all though the pros outweigh the cons.

Comment

just to clarify, I was told by HIDS4U to never have my lights on when you start the car as the spike in power can cause problems, as a safety meassure I have since found out ( by accident) that if the lights are on when you start your car they trip out and you only have to turn them off and on again.
        Never had a problem with the car stalling tho... However that was on my FTO not the smart, perhaps things work differently on jap cars...

Comment

Originally posted by TurbochargedJJ
          just to clarify, I was told by HIDS4U to never have my lights on when you start the car as the spike in power can cause problems, as a safety meassure I have since found out ( by accident) that if the lights are on when you start your car they trip out and you only have to turn them off and on again.
          Never had a problem with the car stalling tho... However that was on my FTO not the smart, perhaps things work differently on jap cars...
          Perhaps I should have explained better, when I mention pressing the unlock button twice to turn the lights on this is what they call the coming home function which switches the lights on for about 10 secs then the go off again.

All I do is as I'm walking towards the car I press unlock twice to activate the lights on function, normally by the time i've opened the door & sat in the car the 10 secs is up & the lights go off. I then start the car first & then use the headlight stalk on the steering wheel to turn the lights on as you normally would.

I'd rather put up with doing this for the time being as you've no idea how much of a pain it was to fit these to a forfour.

Comment

Originally posted by kaizer
            when I mention pressing the unlock button twice to turn the lights on this is what they call the coming home function which switches the lights on for about 10 secs then the go off again.
            Does this work on all Smarts or is it another expensive option?

Comment

Originally posted by Taffdan
              Does this work on all Smarts or is it another expensive option?
              Have just been out to my fortwo (pulse) and no it doesn't do it

Cheers

Andy

Comment

think it's part of the lux pack or summit...

do you also get auto wipers etc..

Comment

it's part of the comfort pack, not standard on all cars.

not sure about the spiking thing... my roadster temporarily switches the lights off when it starts the car, then they come back on again.

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

Originally posted by RacingSnake
                    it's part of the comfort pack, not standard on all cars..
                    Yup, not on mine

Originally posted by RacingSnake
                    not sure about the spiking thing... my roadster temporarily switches the lights off when it starts the car, then they come back on again.
                    Yup, does on mine too

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X