No announcement yet.

Torque steer & Under steer reduction ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque steer & Under steer reduction ??

Well i'll be honest straight from the start & say my motor mechanical knowledge is no existent.

Before I bought my Brabus forfour the reviews always pointed out that it suffered from bad torque steer & understeer. I thought this was just an exageration but found after I bought the car that it does indeed suffer from a fair bit of both.

As good as the car is in a straight line it's not always the best on bends / roundabouts so i'm looking to reduce or eliminate torque steer & under steer.

Now correct me if i'm wrong but seeing as the rear wheels are 225 & the fronts are only 205 if I was to put a set of 225's on the front also then this would provide a little more grip so less understeer ?

Any of you more mechanically minded folks shed some light on the best way to go about both tasks?.

Many thanks

Phil

Re: Torque steer & Under steer reduction ??

upping the width not in the wet totally the opposite infact!

Something to do with the laws of physics or so I am told!

Comment

To create better grip, you need in increase the Wheel J........... not just tyres size.

I'm the first to fit 8J brabus alloys all round, and it does make a huge difference.

But its not a cheap option.

Heres a pic of my brabus

Comment

As luck would have it I do have a spare set of 4 brabus alloys with tyres so I may just pop the 8j's on the front ?

you've had no problems with them on ?

Comment

Originally posted by kaizer
          As luck would have it I do have a spare set of 4 brabus alloys with tyres so I may just pop the 8j's on the front ?

you've had no problems with them on ?
          No problems at all. Eveything is fine...... but the standard tyres smart fits are not very good....... if you want to improve the setup fit Dunlop Sport 9000's.

Go an fit them and take the car for drive, then report here on my mod

Comment

you don't rate the Michelin Pilot Sport tyres then ?

Comment

you don't rate the Michelin Pilot Sport tyres then ?
              Nope, since i did the change to a better (sports) brand I have a much better grip level.

Comment

I've got Dunlop 9000's, no problems at all, wet or dry.

Torque steer exists, but I've not found it much of a problem. Putting 180bhp through the front wheels in a car this light, it's bound to happen. It's near enough the same bhp/ton as a Focus RS - which feels like it's waiting to throw you into a hedge first chance it gets!

Pretty much every fast FWD hatch understeers, so I don't know what you can do about that, except adapt your driving style maybe.

Comment

I did always feel that the grip wasn't anything special but thought that the pilot sports were supposed to be a good tyre so just assumed it was the brabus itself.

Seeing as i've just had a new front tyre on the 7J I'm not gonna spend hundreds on new tyres just yet so may wait a few months & see what spare cash i've got.

Comment

have you done the 8J front mod yet?

Comment

No i'm gonna have to hold on changing them just yet as i've only just had one of the frony tyres replaced a couple of weeks back so don't wanna be shelling out for new tyres just yet.

The spare set of brabus wheels the tread on the tyres are not the best so I don't really wanna be putting them on my car yet.

P.S : can you recommend any good online places for the Dunlop 9000's as I can't seem to find many ?

Comment

No i'm gonna have to hold on changing them just yet as i've only just had one of the frony tyres replaced a couple of weeks back so don't wanna be shelling out for new tyres just yet.

The spare set of brabus wheels the tread on the tyres are not the best so I don't really wanna be putting them on my car yet.
                        Just fit the 'not so best alloys&tyres' on the rear and then the fresh 8J alloys with newer tyres on the front! Try it, it wont hurt.lol You may actually like it!

Comment

I wonder if the aftermarket BRABUS wheels are the same as the wheels on the BRABUS forfour though?

Comment

Originally posted by J500ANT
                            I wonder if the aftermarket BRABUS wheels are the same as the wheels on the BRABUS forfour though?
                            not sure what you mean ?

Comment

the wheels you had from the old car are BRABUS wheels but the ones not specifically for the BRABUS forfour might not be the same size and offset. Best to double check thats all.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X