Limited Slip Differential for Brabus forfour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited Slip Differential for Brabus forfour

In my pursuit of finding info regarding reducing / eliminating torque steer on the Brabus forfour I have been in touch with a manufacturer who can produce a Limited Slip Differential for the Brabus.

The downside is that it would have to be made from scratch so to make it worth their while they would need an order for 10 units.

Now I know there a few very Brabus forfour owners out there so chances of this happening is gonna be slim to none but I thought i'd let you know anyway just in case.

I am awaiting rough pricing & more info from them but from the research i've done there supposed to be the daddy for LSD's in the UK.

www.Quaife.co.uk

If any Brabus owners out there are remotely interested then either reply here or send me a PM.

Re: Limited Slip Differential for Brabus forfour

It all depends on cost. I dont mind alittle bit torque steer and eating tyres

Comment

Originally posted by ZorroReturns
      It all depends on cost. I dont mind alittle bit torque steer and eating tyres
      Yeah but the way I drive the torque steer near enough lifts the front off the ground

I make no apologies though coz the Brabus is so fab it's impossible to drive normally.

Comment

On the Brabus do you need to fight the torque steer to keep the car going straight, or is it just something you notice if you relax grip on the steering wheel? Torque steer is something I've never experienced before.

Comment

Originally posted by bus_ter
          On the Brabus do you need to fight the torque steer to keep the car going straight, or is it just something you notice if you relax grip on the steering wheel? Torque steer is something I've never experienced before.
          Firstly it's not that bad.......Astra VXR has got to be the worst torque steer around.

It is possible to get strong torque steer, but IMHO its down to how good your tyres are (i think the factory's are not good) and how much grip you have on the road. "plug" for my 8J front wheel upgrade

The upgrade removes alot of the grip/setup problems and makes the drive much more smoother.......

My only gripe with the car, and i mean gripe is the factory suspension setup which is totally flawed! Hope smart/Brabus got away with just lowering springs over the 1100cc version is beyond me.

Ive driven a race setup forfour.........and it was awesome......really fun and it was like it was fixed to the road

Comment

Don't think it will be any better with an LSD, having had a very well tuned1340 rally mini in the past fitted with a C/R S/C gearbox with an LSD you needed both hands on the wheel otherwise the LSD pulled the steering straight out of your hands, IMHO fitting a LSD to a Brabus Forfour would make it almost undriveable.:goodlk:

Comment

But if fitting a LSD would make it undriveable then why did Brabus fit one to the 210BHP Brabus SBR concept car ?

Surely they realised that the normal Brabus forfour had some iffy torque steer & coz they'd upped the power to 210BHP they needed to fit one otherwise it'd be a complete mess to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by kaizer
                But if fitting a LSD would make it undriveable then why did Brabus fit one to the 210BHP Brabus SBR concept car ?

Surely they realised that the normal Brabus forfour had some iffy torque steer & coz they'd upped the power to 210BHP they needed to fit one otherwise it'd be a complete mess to drive.
                Just out of interest have you tried to contact Brabus in Bottrop and see if they have some spares?

Comment

Originally posted by ZorroReturns
                  Just out of interest have you tried to contact Brabus in Bottrop and see if they have some spares?
                  It did cross my mind but I don't think I got enough £££ for the kind of prices they would want. :dollarey:

Now if I could just have a decent lottery win I could give them my car & tell them to "spec it up"

Comment

Originally posted by kaizer

The clue is in 'concept car' also I don't think a LSD will counter act torque steer, you are still in the hands of getting enough grip, all the LSD does is what it says on the tin, 'Limits Slip' if the road surface is slippery It can cause even more problems as in a normal diff the spinning wheel will reduce the power transmitted to other wheel that has grip on the road allowing the wheel to grip, with an LSD the power is transmitted to both driving wheels promoting the gripping wheel to spin also as there is little reduction in power to that wheel. This can be just as dangerous as It can through an imbalance into the suspension when you least expect it. Even after having driven both front & rear wheel drive cars in competition for a few years, it is still difficult to explain! Certainly, an LSD will not suddenly make a mediocre driver or car into a rally winner!

Comment

I dont think the announced-before-they-killed-the-forfour-off BRABUS 210 had a LSD!

Comment

Originally posted by J500ANT
                        I dont think the announced-before-they-killed-the-forfour-off BRABUS 210 had a LSD!
                        "The SBR can achieve a maximum speed of 226 km/h and underlines the potential and the classlessness of the smart forfour. Its performance data are impressive: 155 kW (210 bhp) and torque of up to 250 Newton metres. Acceleration from 0-100 km/h in just 6.4 seconds. With a variable locking differential that enhances traction on winding roads and shorter shift travel that enables gears to be changed even more quickly.
                        "

Comment

I understood there was a non SBR 210bhp forfour BRABUS, but maybe i'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by warbird
                            The clue is in 'concept car' also I don't think a LSD will counter act torque steer, you are still in the hands of getting enough grip, all the LSD does is what it says on the tin, 'Limits Slip' if the road surface is slippery It can cause even more problems as in a normal diff the spinning wheel will reduce the power transmitted to other wheel that has grip on the road allowing the wheel to grip, with an LSD the power is transmitted to both driving wheels promoting the gripping wheel to spin also as there is little reduction in power to that wheel. This can be just as dangerous as It can through an imbalance into the suspension when you least expect it. Even after having driven both front & rear wheel drive cars in competition for a few years, it is still difficult to explain! Certainly, an LSD will not suddenly make a mediocre driver or car into a rally winner!
                            I concur an LSD won't stop torque steer. It's not designed to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Roadster
                              I concur an LSD won't stop torque steer. It's not designed to do that.
                              It may not stop it totally but surely it would reduce it ?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X