Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please tell me about your ForFour's clutch!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please tell me about your ForFour's clutch!

Hi. I'm new to the site but hoping some of you can help me.

I have a Smart ForFour diesel, manual. In October the clutch and flywheel went. and had to be replaced. At the time the car was 7 months old and had done 10k miles, hvaing just got home from a holiday driving round France. The gears have always seemed quite stiff, but thought nothing of it assuming it was just the way the car was.

Smart are claiming that this is caused by normal wear and tear and will not cover it under warranty.

Is this really the case? How can it be reasonable wear and tear in such a short space of time. I do mainly motorway driving, with a little city driving. I rarely drive in rush hour and heavy traffic, and no, I don't ride the clutch.

We are currently in legal proceedings with Smart. I had to pay £780 for a new clutch and fly wheel, which they are refusing to settle under warranty. Fortunately legal costs are not a problem as my partner is a solicitor.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what happened?

Thank you.

Re: Please tell me about your ForFour's clutch!

Can anyone help?

Comment

I have to agree that I would expect a clutch to last a lot longer than that! But having dealt with the Smart warranty dept it’s the usual shameful result I would expect from their non existent customer services! I wish you luck!!

Comment

did you find it hard to access 2nd gear?

Comment

I would also suggest a quick visit to mitsucolt.co.uk, i recall someone else with a diesel Colt needing a new clutch at 10k and having to pay for it........

Comment

Originally posted by J500ANT
            I would also suggest a quick visit to mitsucolt.co.uk, i recall someone else with a diesel Colt needing a new clutch at 10k and having to pay for it........
            but i bet a clutch on mitz/forfour is alot cheaper than fortwo or roadster to buy and fit?

Comment

Plus fours? Buy em big and baggy.

Comment

Originally posted by ZorroReturns
                but i bet a clutch on mitz/forfour is alot cheaper than fortwo or roadster to buy and fit?
                including the flywheel its about £780 iirc

Comment

Write to Auto Express they can do wonders with shite customer service

Comment

Ask the dealer to make an ESKULAB claim - where they get the cost paid for by smart themselves.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X