Driver side / Front wheel area knocking / rattling sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver side / Front wheel area knocking / rattling sound

Hi guys, i've just bought a 4/4 1.5 passion. The car is perfect until i drove over some bumpy road (small potholes / uneven road), i can feel some knocking/rattling sound coming from the driver side front wheel area. I went back to the service centre to check it out, but the technical manager told me it a default problem which every smart 4/4 has ... Do you guys have this problem, cause it does not feel solid when you drive over some bumpy road or it's just a lazy excuse from the service centre ? Any idea on fixing this issue ?

Re: Driver side / Front wheel area knocking / rattling sound

It's a fault that has happend on some forfours , the dealwe should sort itt out under warrant ..... if he gives daft excuses is there a different dealer close to you that you can try ? ....... :goodlk:

PS
    For all things forfour you might like to look here > http://forfourowner.com/

Comment

I've been to many forums and none of those guys experience it before .... it's like i'm the unlucky one .... anyway please let me know if there's any solution, on what to be fixed or changed. The service centre that i went to ..... is a 5 star rated service centre and still giving the crappy answer .... standard issue can't be fixed .....

Comment

Not sure if forfours typically suffer, but the symptoms sound like a failing control arm ball joint.
        Jack the front of the car up, wedge a scaff bar inbetween the lower wishbone and the back of the hub/suspension/some other mounting point, and lift, there should be no movement, but if you get even a slight bit of movement before the wishbone starts to move... then the balljoint is most likely on it's way out.
        just for clarity, you are looking for vertical movement in the hub, when the lower wishbone is stationary.
        thats my 2p worth anyway!

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

I've had similar problems with rattling, been looked into several times by the garage but it's still there. Last time it came back I had a quick look at the car myself and noticed when I thumped the wheel with my hand there was a rattling sound coming from the wheelarch area, so I suspect it is the plastic panels rubbing together. At least I'm hoping it's nothing more serious.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by smartcut View Post
            I've had similar problems with rattling, been looked into several times by the garage but it's still there. Last time it came back I had a quick look at the car myself and noticed when I thumped the wheel with my hand there was a rattling sound coming from the wheelarch area, so I suspect it is the plastic panels rubbing together. At least I'm hoping it's nothing more serious.

Chris

I have similar problems too, in especially when I travel 60-70Mph on M40 and going through bumps on the Motorway. I checked the plastic panels and the tyres but they look okay when I stop the car. Hope it is not something serious too.

Andrew

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X