Squeaky back seats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaky back seats

Does anyone else have this problem. The back seats are squeaking like mad, kinda like the noise polystyrene makes. Its pretty much a continual noise, but the level sometimes lowers a bit. I cant work out where its coming from, sounds like its the springs inside the seat.

Its drving me crazy, has anyone else had this problem, how can be it solved, all suggestions appreciated

Re: Squeaky back seats

i had this in mine i put silicpone greae on the part when you lift the reay seat there are hole where it clicks into it seems to come from there.

Comment

In the boot if you lift the carpet up you will see the polystyrene cover which houses the spare wheel. The noise comes from there, not sure if it is the spare wheel rubbing on the top of the poly. I put some soft material across the spare wheel then put the poly on top, it seems to have cured it

Comment

Next time buy the ones WITHOUT rear seats... end of problem..!!!

Comment

Great, thanks for your help. I didnt think it was the actual seats but I wasnt sure. I will try your suggestions 'Miss Radley' and 'russt'. I love my Brab but with the noise was getting a bit disheartened.

Thanks a lot, I will give it a shot:p

I wont take out the back seats though thanks 'dalongbloke', my dogs would not be very impressed with me

S

Comment

check the dogs havn`t dropped there squeeky toy somewhere,

Comment

Yes then it would be a no brainer.

I have since lifted up the seats and found that the annoying noise now seems to be coming from the rear glass roof panel, or in that area, its definitely not from the spare wheel area or the seats.

Has anyone else encountered this, please help :p

Comment

Originally posted by dalongbloke View Post
                Next time buy the ones WITHOUT rear seats... end of problem..!!!
                you mean like this lol

Owning a forfour can be as much fun as fortwo

Comment

Yup, i've had this problem from new. At one point the dealer even said that the cause was a bottle of water i'd left in the boot!! They replaced the rear screen and it was cured for a while but is now back. Will try the other suggestions mentioned here but i know what u mean about it being disheartening. Good luck!

Comment

:newbie: Hi all.Im new to the forum and i have signed on to find out if anyone has had the problem of a rattling noise from the left front wheel.Sounds like something is horribly loose and as im in a town in Greece im wary of taking it to a mechanic who doesnt know Smarts.I have the 'for two'.Does anyone know the part i need,what is wrong with it and any advice on what to do??? she sounds awful!!!! Ideally id like to know what part i need and order it from Smart then get the mechanic to fit it here.

Any advice much appreicated :

Comment

I did some internet research and found a site where some guy has listed probs and potential solutions. Heres is whats wrong with my squeaky window

''Frequent creaking/cracking sounds appearing to come from behind you when driving:

This usually happens when you have just had your new smart, or in dry weather.
                      The clips on the plastic windows at either side of the rear of your smart can start to 'rub' against each other as the cars body flexes (and it flexes quite a bit!). Making a rather unpleasant cracking sound.
                      If you can manage with that sound (I couldn't!) then you can ignore is without taking any action as nothing will wear away or become damaged.
                      If not then you can either take the car to your local smartcenter (where they will take the windows out and spray the clips with some lubricant), or you can do it yourself.
                      On the inside of your smart, at the bottom of each window, there are 2 grooves in the pastic retainer. These are seperate bits, and you can remove them with a little persuation.
                      After removing the clips from each window (1 per window) you can gently pull the inner black plastic retainer away from the metail frame towards the centre of the window. Once you have done this you will then be in a position to remove the actual window itself.
                      There is a plastic guide at the top side of the window. The window itself should pop out of place (it might be a little stuck in place at first) and you should see the guide. Remember to slot the window back into it when you're lubricating the clips''.

Litsa, I think I might have a resolve for your prob too, found on the same site

''3) Very occasional creaking sound coming from near front of smart, particularly when braking: This is likely to be the front suspension. If it is, then the most likely causes are water ingres inside the plastic seals, or the fact that it has become slightly loose and needs tightening.
                      This fix is best done by your smartcentre.

4) Rattling sound when driving above 70mph:
                      First off, stop speeding. The smart is not designed to do high speeds and has all the aerodynamics of a rounded brick. You have been warned.
                      However, if you insist on driving too fast then the rattling sound will be the undertray of the car trying to remove itself from its fixings, or your side panels trying to do much of the same.
                      A little plastic/foam tape around the fixing slots and wherever the panel comes into contact with the car might do the trick here, but a more effective means is not to go above 70mph.

Hope that helps, I am going to give my Mercedes guys this solve and see if it works.

Comment

"4) Rattling sound when driving above 70mph:
                        First off, stop speeding. The smart is not designed to do high speeds"

So the 180 odd BHP brabus 44 is not designed to do speeds over 70???? Aerodynamics wise it doesn't differ from any of the other models much - so thats just silly saying that!

Comment

well if you read between the lines its obvious the guy was referring to the fourtwo when he wrote that, not the 44 Brabus.

The site isnt just for the 44, it more a more general kind of site, for all Smart cars.

HAPPY NOW!!!!

Comment

i would put blu tac in my lugs, no squeekyness and you be a ok if you have a poster type problem

Comment

Originally posted by seadragon View Post
                              well if you read between the lines its obvious the guy was referring to the fourtwo when he wrote that, not the 44....The site isnt just for the 44, it more a more general kind of site, for all Smart cars.
                              This is the forfour sub-forum???

Here: "smartmaniacs > For Four > For Four - Technical Problems"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X