Three lines and a tow truck!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three lines and a tow truck!

When I went home from work yesterday (wendsday) there was a bad snowstorm getting on its way so I went home a little earlier. Taking it very slow on the motorway (80-100km/h) going upp a hill I wanted to change down to 5th gear, but not the Roadster. It went in to tre horisontal lines and crused to a stop.
    I was standing in a very bad place and was afraid that someone should hit the car from the back. I tryed to turn it of but then I could not start it again and the 3 lines came up after it had sounded as somone was fighting in the engine compartment. I got a tow truck there after 2 hours (I was freezing like h**l) and hoping that something would melt and I would be able to start the car again but no. The driver of the tow truck, a very nice man was taking the car all the way into my garage and after an hour or two when I had had the battery of and recharged I turned the key and it said N, I tryed to start and it started. I was under the car today and could not se anything odd. Is it possible to se the levers for the gears anywere?
    Today I have driven about 30 km and it is running perfectly.
    From now on I will bring a 10 mm spanner everywere I go with that car.
    I will be going 70 km to work in the morning!
    Jörgen

Re: Three lines and a tow truck!

you wont be able to see any of the change mechanism, since it is conducted through a motor mounted to the gearbox.
    I suspect it was 'just a glitch' and needed a little freeing up.
    perhaps it was just too cold? or the gearbox oil is getting old??
    (change guide here http://www.fq101.co.uk/roadstergearboxoil.asp )
    but I think i wouldn't think too much about it unless it happens more frequently.

you can often free up the gearbox if it jams like that by 'rocking' the car with it in gear. from then on it seems to be okay!!!

Incidentally, if you hold the stick in it's movement (forward or back (or halfway into the movement)), you can induce the three lines on the car too.

I guess you wait to see if it does it again!

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

I had been driving for about half an hour so I don't think it was cold but I am thinking about putting something under the car to protect against dirt and snow from the street without shealding of to much of the wind.
      The car seemed to be in neutral when we got it on the tow truck and I think I tryed to turn on the key after getting it into the garage but still got the 3 lines.
      Well we (or I) will see what will happend.
      Jörgen

Comment

Mine went into safe mode when driving on the ice we had a few weeks ago but it reset whren I cut the engine and started again.

I'd tentatively put it down to gremlins and hope for the best

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyDuke View Post
          Mine went into safe mode when driving on the ice we had a few weeks ago but it reset whren I cut the engine and started again.

I'd tentatively put it down to gremlins and hope for the best
          I rememered somthing like that from a tread. That's why I turned it of and tryed to start again but it did not help me. I guess that if I had disconected the batteri it might have helped.
          Jörgen

I do hope for the best!

Comment

It dit it again!!!!
            Today going home I thought I would shift down earlier to be safe not to stop at sutch a bad place. I was going at 100 kmh and shifted down to 5th and IT DID IT AGAIN!!
            I crused to a stop and went out and disconested the battery for 1 minute and when I turned the egnition on it was strugeling first but then found 5th gear and then whent into N. I started and could drive on home.
            I am going to change oil this weekend and keep looking for reasons for the problem.
            Jörgen

Comment

I changed the oil yesterday and about 1,6 km (1 mile) from home I stopped at a stop sign and when I wanted to start the car did not. The 3 lines were back. Of with the batteri and after the second try it ran allmost all the way back home. I adjusted the clutch manualy and went out again. This time it runs perfectly but when I stopped after 25 km and turned the ignition back on, just to check, it sounded like an over energetic car thief was trying to find a gear. Just as it did the first time, every time I turned the key and before the 3 lines.
              It runs well but I am worried about for how long?
              Jörgen
              I want a star machine so I don't have to pay 70€ for reading the trouble codes.
              Last edited by krassegrand; 25-02-07, 03:33 PM.

Comment

You don't really need a star machine to read the generic trouble codes, only the smrt specific codes.

We have experienced this sort of intermittent error on the gear box.
                You may want to change the gear position sensor, I am not sure on the cost of this part, but it's not uncommon for it to fail.
                Other problems could be dodgy wiring going into the actuator, or a failed gear selector.
                whatever the problem is, by the very nature I'd say the fault lies on the gearbox, so you really only have the 3 main things to check, the position sensor, the selector motor and the actuator.

Hope that helps

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

Originally posted by RacingSnake View Post
                  You don't really need a star machine to read the generic trouble codes, only the smrt specific codes.

We have experienced this sort of intermittent error on the gear box.
                  You may want to change the gear position sensor, I am not sure on the cost of this part, but it's not uncommon for it to fail.
                  Other problems could be dodgy wiring going into the actuator, or a failed gear selector.
                  whatever the problem is, by the very nature I'd say the fault lies on the gearbox, so you really only have the 3 main things to check, the position sensor, the selector motor and the actuator.

Hope that helps
                  Thank You!
                  I will make some calls tomorrow and se who can help me close to home.
                  Jörgen

Comment

I was talking to a serviceman (Johan at SC in Gothenburg) who has a very good reputation. He says they have had a couple of City Coupe and one Roadster with a problem similar to this and it has been the cable to the gear positioner rubbing against the gearbox housing so that the isolation is wering down.
                    I will check when I get home.
                    This morning I only came ca 50 m from home so I would have been able to push it back home but I did the usual procedure and back home I went for the other car (the Jack Black).
                    I hope I will have the time to write tonight.
                    Jörgen

Comment

I have fixed som worn wires just under the intercooler today and I hope that helps.
                      I will be back with more info.
                      Jörgen

Comment

I have driven 70 km today on wet and salted roads and it seemes to work, fingers crossed.
                        Jörgen

Comment

I hope the problem is solved ...... :goodlk:

Comment

Isn't the --- indicative of a communications problem with the gearbox? sounds like your suspisions of of connections to the gearbox could be a good call, if you get the chance get the connectors off and have a look at the contacts for any signs of corrosion/water ingress.

They may need cleaning or water proofing.

Comment

The car is running fine now after fixing the worn wires. I am going to get a replacement plug and enough wire to get the joint high in the engine compartment.
                              Jörgen

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X