cdi starting problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cdi starting problems

Before some time I have always problems with starting hot car after a long drive. Ok, common problem. In short city relation car start perfectly, after 0.5sec.
    Before 1 month, I forgot to turn off my headlights and battery discharge. I start car via cables from another car, run it for hour and after this everything work ok.
    But, now I have starting problem always. Starter rotate engine, but engine simply dont try to "shake"...Like engine dont get fuel. Last two time I am turn on/off radio and car start ok????????????????? When starter crank I can view little drop in inside lighting. When engine start, idle is for second or two little poor. Car drives normally after that. When I stop car after driving, I can start up engine normally.

What can be wrong? I suspect poor battery. Maybe something else?

Re: cdi starting problems

The first thing I would do is to have battery discharge tested. Clean & grease battery terminals and check earth lead in engine compartment just to the left of turbo. It is clipped to the TIK inlet pipe.
    Also check if fuel supply is OK by disconnecting supply hose to engine. Check flow by piping into a container. Poor flow usually caused by clogged fuel filter. Check pressure by connecting a pressure gauge. I think fuel pressure from feed pump should be around 2.5 bar.
    You can also try roll starting down a hill when engine is warm. Probably a problem with starter or power supply if engine roll starts easily when hot.

Comment

hmmm, fuel supply...but car drive normaly. if supply is defect, car wont run properly. I will test battery.

Comment

I always recommend checking fuel supply when diesel engines have trouble starting.

Comment

I still have starting problems. I am check computer diagnostics and here is no errors. In live (running car) diagnostics all parameters is ok. Starter run fine as many timer as I want (10x, 5x, 15x). When I switch on front headlight I can view very litle drop in rpm. Problem is random, so sometimes engine start from first, sometimes after 10 starts...starter motor starts to spin but the engine simply wont starts to "shake" (run). First several seconds idle is rough, like engine dont have enough fuel. I will try to make video.

Comment

Originally posted by tolsen View Post
            The first thing I would do is to have battery discharge tested. Clean & grease battery terminals and check earth lead in engine compartment just to the left of turbo. It is clipped to the TIK inlet pipe.
            Also check if fuel supply is OK by disconnecting supply hose to engine. Check flow by piping into a container. Poor flow usually caused by clogged fuel filter. Check pressure by connecting a pressure gauge. I think fuel pressure from feed pump should be around 2.5 bar.
            You can also try roll starting down a hill when engine is warm. Probably a problem with starter or power supply if engine roll starts easily when hot.
            If I disconnect fuel supply fuel will spray engine bay??? Do you can explain "Check flow by piping into a container"?

Comment

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
              The reason I ask, I once had a VW Scirocco that was trouble to start. It would just spin over & eventually catch & run. Someone suggested the fuel filter was blocked, therefore reducing the fuel flow/pressure. I changed the filter, problem solved.
              Don't know if this is your problem, but for the cost of a filter might be worth a go.:goodlk:

Comment

Originally posted by foler View Post
                If I disconnect fuel supply fuel will spray engine bay??? Do you can explain "Check flow by piping into a container"?
                Just connect a hose and direct flow into a container. Feed pump will run for a few seconds and cut out. You should at least get approximately 3 - 5 dl each time feed pump runs. I checked pressure on mine a couple of weeks ago and measured 2.6 bar.
                Another thing to check is TDC sensor. It is tricky to get to as tucked away on top of bell housing under high pressure fuel pump and you need to remove intercooler to gain access. TDC sensor is held in place by one M6 screw, probably an Unbraco if I my memory is right. The sensor contains a magnet that attracts iron filings leading to poor signal and bad start. Wiping clean the tip of the sensor is usually all that is required.

Comment

tolsen, which fuel line I need to disconnect from engine to check fuel supply when key is in possition 1? maybe some picture?
                  where is relay for glow plugs? my glow plug light stay on when engine is running.
                  do broken glow plug can disturb starting if outside is +20-30 degree C?

Comment

one more thing...on one long trip when car is go to 100C water temperature all 5 boxes for fuel level flashing...
                    Before some days I park incline with passenger side car on walkway...engine start very hard with hard shaking. when I put car completely on flat road, engine run fine.

Comment

You ought to bleed and top up cooling system as a matter of urgency, see below diagram for instructions:

Diesel feed to high pressure pump is the pipe which does not carry leak oil.

Reason for glow plug light is most likely one or more burnt out glow plugs. Glow plug relay is the black plastic box with two connectors on right hand side of engine bolted to top of engine sub frame.

See this post for instructions on how to replace glow plugs and measure compression.
                      Burnt out glow plugs will not prevent engine from starting unless very cold.

Comment

which firing order is in smart cdi? do i can change it?

Comment

You can't change the firing order unless you change cam shaft and alter the map.
                          Firing order will be 1-2-3 or 1-3-2 as there are no other permutations.

Comment

No luck for me with this devil car. 3 different computer diagnostics and no one can find error. One of this is mercedes star.
                            Today I am change my tdc sensor and no luck. 58$ for nothing.
                            Engine wont start from first. Starter cycle but engine wont start. After 8 attempt engine start. Short drive, car run ok, I turn off engine. Try to start after several seconds, no luck. After 10 attempts engine start. Turn off and immediately try to start, engine START. Turn off, try to start after several second, no luck. Every time when engine start, start is good, fast, no hesitation, like new engine, idle is perfect.
                            When I turn key to position 1 I can hear some noise for about 5-7 sec. Probably low pressure pump.
                            Simply, symptoms like something SUCK fuel from engine when engine is turned off.
                            Last edited by foler; 08-09-11, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Sorry to hear you are still struggling. How was fuel pressure from low pressure pump? Should be around 2.5 bar. Low pressure pump should run for a few seconds each time you turn on ignition. Can you hear yours?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X