Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old turbo on new exhaust manifold, or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old turbo on new exhaust manifold, or not?

OK, so following my story here: http://www.smartmaniacs.co.uk/showth...der-head/page4
    , unfortunately I found now a crack going out from the wastegate valve in the exhaust manifold..
    Its not so big but I dont want to redo so much after this work, even if it would work for a while more before a major leak.

I read quite a number of posts now about this dreadful mis-designed part of the Smart as well as looked on the alternatives for replacements.
    I still didnt understood the major issue with bying a new exhaust manifold and fit the old turbo onto that.

Will it work, or is it really neccessary to buy a complete manifold with turbo?
    There are many separate manifolds for sale out there, so I find it a bit puzzling that some says that you have to replace the complete unit by a new one.
    Last edited by ethanol-smart; 13-05-12, 02:32 PM.

Re: Old turbo on new exhaust manifold, or not?

Well... we did it, and it lasted for ages... but conversely there are some well documented cases (on here) where the new manifold was not manufactured correctly and caused some prety major boosting issues.
    I can't recall if this was traced to a specific supplier, but worth a search.

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

OK, I see.
      But if I buy a genuine Garret manifold, I guess all would be fine then?

Comment

Yup
        not sure how much they are though

In retrospect, I suppose "supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" wasn't a great "safe word..."

Comment

Originally posted by RacingSnake View Post
          Yup
          not sure how much they are though

I ordered one now for 193 Eu + VAT, including 2 years of warranty, from Germany.

Comment

i have a brabus roadster turbo and the manifold had a small crack in it. luckily i had a normal roadster turbo lying around so i put the brabus turbo on the roadster manifold and all is well 8months on

Comment

Yes, mine works fine too now.
              Except for these problems...http://www.smartmaniacs.co.uk/showth...lking-home-now
              But I cant imagine they are related..

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X