Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine dies when becomes warm :-( , dont want more training by walking home now...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Engine dies when becomes warm :-( , dont want more training by walking home now.

My engine is M 160 E6AL B03 since its 54 hp and 599 cc.
    According
    http://www.ignitioncarparts.co.uk/Pa...1210141&s_vid=
    , there was a switch to the more expensive Bosch sensor in march 2000.
    Mine is probably built about newyears 2000 but who knows... Is it possible that both sensors fit, or do I have to rely on production date?
    According to this page: http://www.teilehaber.de/febi-kurbel...d18407085.html
    The Febi sensor fits to all engines almost.. how can it be, it seems shorter..?
    But maybe not all.. how do I know what KBA / Schlüsselnummer I have..?
    My VIN is WME01MC01XH078xxx
    Last edited by ethanol-smart; 27-05-12, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Re: Engine dies when becomes warm :-( , dont want more training by walking home now.

This one worked for me:-

http://www.incarmotorfactors.co.uk/s...on-sensor.html

They were quick sending it as well, but that was to a UK address.

John

Comment

The second one you mention which is for the gearbox fits just below the gearbox motor. I can tell you that the one in the link I have posted is the same part number as for first link (at a lot less cost). The One you have posted for the gearbox has a different part number. This might means it has a different number of turns in in which would produce a different output. Whether the output would be similar enough for it to take the place of the original part, I do not know and do not have spares of either to be able to do a test.

By the way, I am glad you were able to test the CPS and find it faulty - confirms my diagnosis that it can have several effects on the way the engine runs. Also shows that the ECU does not always consider NO INPUT to be a problem worth producing and storing a code for.

John

Comment

Thanks John,
          But how come that your Meyle dont come up inmost searches? It "looks" like the Bosch.
          The Bosch is 150 Eu here in Sweden...

Comment

Don't forget to use amazon same bosch sensor $50 ....

If you insist on Bosch http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CF5U1C/...C&linkCode=asn

Comment

OK, a final line up:
              The CPS-sensor, or crank angle degree sensor, for timing the engine ECU (and not the gearbox!) is produced under these numbers:
              MERCEDES-BENZ 0031539528
              MERCEDES-BENZ 0031539628 (Upgraded?)
              SMART (MCC) 0003117V002
              SMART (MCC) 0003117V00200000

ROBERT BOSCH GMBH 0261210141 or 0031539628-M14
              Febi-Bilstein 24345
              FAE or 0031539628-M323
              HELLA 6PU009110491
              MEYLE 0148990021
              METZGER 0902009
              SWAG 10924345
              VEMO VIEROL V30-72-0117
              AB ELEKTRONIK or 0031539628-M375

I also found that Merc have continued to make updates with new numbers..:
              MERCEDES-BENZ 659050000, 0031532728 (1st upgrade?), 0031532828 (2nd upgrade?)
              The higher the better (newer..), I might assume.

I have also seen and added the Febi-Bilstein, Meyle and some more in the list above.
              I cant imagine that all these alternative suppliers have the same useless quality!

For delivery timing reasons, I have ordered a used Mercedes sensor 0031539628 from a Mercedes E280 V6 1998 with over 220.000 km on the meter now, which I will have before weekend at least.
              If it worked so far, it might be a good one.
              Update: It turned out to be made by AB ELEKTRONIK, some runningnumber is weakly marked on it:17982, we will see how it performs...

I have found that the first merc-number 0031539528 is replaced by 0031539628, which is a warning bell to me, probably the 0031539528 is not up to the task.
              Used part dealers here in Sweden says that these sensors are prone to fail, also on Mercedes. I guess that there some good and some bad, perhaps the Hella is better than Bosch, or there are production dates that should be avoided.

Update: I found this very useful site!:
              http://www.everythingbenz.com/z/part...ft-sensor-rear
              Here they seems to be all! Must be useful also for Smart people!

It would be nice if we all could report here in this thread, the marked partnumber and make of the sensors we finds faulty respective working still after a long period.
              Then we could find the best parts for fitting in order to avoid the problem in the future.
              We could even pick the good ones from used cars and save both time and money, because as I see it, this kind of sensor should easily work the lifetime of a car, and dont get you stranded like this!

It means that maybe, there are sitting good ones in wrecked cars all over the place!
              I will start, once my sensor is out...
              Last edited by ethanol-smart; 01-06-12, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Manufacturers continually switch factories with components and will still have the same Merc number for instance you'd need to know the batch number, maybe worth on old failed ones removing the Merc/Smart label and see what info is embossed beneath?

At least with the smart numbering system there is a clear version number - tends to give you a clue that something was an issue with earlier parts.

Comment

Originally posted by madDan View Post
                  Manufacturers continually switch factories with components and will still have the same Merc number for instance you'd need to know the batch number, maybe worth on old failed ones removing the Merc/Smart label and see what info is embossed beneath?

At least with the smart numbering system there is a clear version number - tends to give you a clue that something was an issue with earlier parts.
                  If they are switching manufacturer during production, Mercedes always let them mark with the manufacturer logo. In the case of the merc number or the smartnumber change, for sure also this will be visible on the part.
                  So, we need to note all visible numbers of the part, OEM partnumber (merc or Smart, I think only merc will be on them though) + supplier-logo + supplier part number + running "serial" number (if readable)
                  Last edited by ethanol-smart; 01-06-12, 04:20 PM.

Comment

OK, the cps-sensor is switched to a quality sensor from AB Elektronik, 0031539628.
                    (Somewhere I saw that a spare part from AB Elektronik are the most expensive alternative, even higher than Bosch)
                    Engine is running as a dream now! Looked in the signal in oscilloscope too, and its rock stable.

And what sensor was it in the car, which failed in this annoying way?
                    Its a Bosch. Production week: 12w30, Boschnumber: 0261210142, "816" in an oval, and a marking "967 5A" under the oval.
                    And now to the worst thing, which makes me really pissed off. This piece of ****, is with the Merc number A0031539528.
                    My Smart is built around christmas 1999.
                    The sensor I put in now have been serving well in a Merc E280 during 220000 km since 1998. It obviously have the upgraded design,
                    It means that Mercedes was very well aware of that the sensor was not up to its task, and changed something in it when they replaced
                    0031539528 with 0031539628.

They changed on Mercedes cars 1998 or before even, but not on our Smarts..not even 2000.
                    Maybe some large stock of useless sensors was found OK
                    for our simple cars by these cynics of Smartville... or at least they where aware of the bad specification of it.
                    In Sweden this is in fact base enough for "factory induced fault", which gives the right for free repairs and spares regardless of age of the product!
                    You need to prove that the fault was there from the start of the products life.

Which I did now...
                    Last edited by ethanol-smart; 03-06-12, 09:16 AM.

Comment

BAD sensor

gave up after 100000 km and possibly an overheating that resulted in a new CH-gasket. (Which is NOT OK in my eyes!)

Its a Bosch. Production week: 99w30, Boschnumber: 0261210142, "816" in an oval, and a marking "967 5A" under the oval.
                      And now to the worst thing, which makes me really pissed off. This piece of ****, is with the Merc number A0031539528.

See previous post for my motivation of why this is a scandal..

Last edited by ethanol-smart; 03-06-12, 09:13 AM.

Comment

GOOD sensor:

Mercedes sensor 0031539628 from a Mercedes E280 V6 1998 with over 220.000 km on the meter now,
                        If it worked so far, it might be a good one. And it is working now perfectly in my Smart!
                        AB ELEKTRONIK, some runningnumber is weakly marked on it:17982, nothing more
                        Maybe means produktion week 17, 1998?

Please fill in with your experiences as they come!
                        Last edited by ethanol-smart; 03-06-12, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ethanol-smart View Post
                          BAD sensor
                          Its a Bosch. Production week: 99w30, Boschnumber: 0261210142, "816" in an oval, and a marking "967 5A" under the oval.
                          .... the Merc number A0031539528.
                          Here are details of MY BAD SENSOR Gave out at Approx 150,000km
                          Its a Bosch. Production week: 99w46, Boschnumber: 0261210142, "816" in an oval, and a marking "971 3C" under the oval.
                          Merc Number: A0031539528

I think I have replaced it with one which has the same Merc number as the packet it came out of has that number on it, BUT as I did NOT check the actual part for the number I can't be 100% sure.

John

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X