No announcement yet.

It's Official - I've got a soggy SAM...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Official - I've got a soggy SAM...

After the torrential rain in the early hours of this morning, it would appear that my car has succumbed to the inevitable and needs a new SAM (flashing hazards, non stop wipers, flashing fogs & randomly opening roof) . On the plus side it may have been happening (slightly) for a while and would explain the dodgy power steering for the past couple of months.

I know that the car is 4.5 years out of warranty, but I've had the car from new & not had any problems/claims before, so I was wondering, have I got any chance of making one of these esklaub claim things to help pay for a new one?

Cheers

T/O

Re: It's Official - I've got a soggy SAM...

you can try but I really doubt it, tbh i dont think you will be the only one that has this issue the next few days.

I always keep a spare set but havent had any others for a while so I am sure some will be dissapointed when I say I cant help

Comment

Don't use car disconnect battery.

Remove it.

Dry it out.

Open it up clean up corroded solder pads contacts etc

You might get lucky

While it's out of car unblock drain in wiper tray.

Seal the wiper tray PROPERLY make sure wiper fixing screw holes also get sealed.

Last bit important if you need to get a new SAM (Electronic not the Scotsman!)

Comment

I tried to get MB to contribute specially as I needed 3 in 2 years ( hence the car was traded in ) but they are not at all interested and I tried a claim on my insurance too but same response

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          you can try but I really doubt it, tbh i dont think you will be the only one that has this issue the next few days.

I always keep a spare set but havent had any others for a while so I am sure some will be dissapointed when I say I cant help
          Thanks & no worries. I think you're right especially as more is on the way...

Originally posted by madDan View Post
          Don't use car disconnect battery.

Remove it.

Dry it out.

Open it up clean up corroded solder pads contacts etc

You might get lucky

While it's out of car unblock drain in wiper tray.

Seal the wiper tray PROPERLY make sure wiper fixing screw holes also get sealed.

Last bit important if you need to get a new SAM (Electronic not the Scotsman!)
          Thanks MadDan - looking at the instructions I've seen on various sites it looks like a big job with lots of potential for going wrong? Can you not do damage removing the SAM, nevermind opening it up?!

Originally posted by baggpus View Post
          I tried to get MB to contribute specially as I needed 3 in 2 years ( hence the car was traded in ) but they are not at all interested and I tried a claim on my insurance too but same response
          Oh we'll, I don't know why I'm so surprised...thanks for the heads up tho

Comment

Its buggered it aint no good it the state it's in

Comment

Give tony a call at tune4performance (@s2smarts) as he has a knack of fixing them

JJ

www.forfour.co.uk (tech 454) - www.quidco.com/user/417377/1833011/ (free £)

Comment

Originally posted by problemchild1976 View Post
                Give tony a call at tune4performance (@s2smarts) as he has a knack of fixing them

JJ
                Thanks JJ, the only problem is they are in Watford which is quite a distance to travel with a possibly dying car...cheers for the info though

Btw do you really have to take the bonnet off to take the scuttle tray cover off? :s

Comment

I am sure i read somewhere Tony himself says if its been wet dont bother posting. but i am sure he can come to let you know

Comment

Afaik Tony repairs dry solder issues not water damage. Though I could be wrong.

Comment

can always try fudge !thought you had a car cover

Comment

Originally posted by putzie View Post
                        can always try fudge !thought you had a car cover
                        Yeah I believe he might be up this way soon too but need to get the leak sorted otherwise it'll happen again.

Haha yes but it only rained for 5mins (in a torrent) and it was after weeks of sunshine... :p

Comment

It must be quite a leak if it damades the SAM in 5 minutes, or am I wrong?
                          Both of mine where standing in rain all day last saturday (http://www.bastadclassicmotor.se/) but I am quite convinsed that there is nothing but a few drops on the side windows.

Is this the water outlet from the wiper motor space/tray cleared?

Jörgen

Comment

Originally posted by krassegrand View Post
                            It must be quite a leak if it damades the SAM in 5 minutes, or am I wrong?
                            Both of mine where standing in rain all day last saturday (http://www.bastadclassicmotor.se/) but I am quite convinsed that there is nothing but a few drops on the side windows.

Is this the water outlet from the wiper motor space/tray cleared?
                            Well it was one heck of a downpour to be fair with a lot of rainwater falling in a very short space of time (nearly flooded the road)

I generally haven't really had any problems with leaks on mine and so thought (rather stupidly) that my scuttle bin didn't need doing, but on reflection it must have been leaking a little for the past couple of years as I suspect it is the cause of my 'erratic' steering problem (corroded contacts?)

Well I've got some black PU adhesive now, just waiting for some prolonged dry weather now to give it a go...

Cheers

T/O

ps "Is this the water outlet from the wiper motor space/tray cleared?" - yes I think so, gave it a good squeeze etc to make sure it wasn't blocked and all seemed good

Comment

pour water in wiper tray and watch it gurgle away

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X