EGR Delete

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR Delete

Just finished up my EGR Delete on my grey winter smart, this is my fifth one I've installed this year. Dead easy to do once the EGR is removed, then its just a matter of installing the parts.
    1. EGR Emulator from a member (stickman007) from CSC )
    2. 14cm long 1 3/4" Exhaust pipe with rolled bead to prevent from coming loose. (http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=26335)
    3. Blocking/cheater Plate from Ebay (Poland) (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/181215122428?...84.m1497.l2649)
    4. 2 Stainless steel bolts for the blocking plate.
    5. 2 2.5" Stainless steel clamps (for exhaust pipe)

My smart is an Canadian 2005 Smart Fortwo CDI Coupe but it should be generally the same.

Ran out of black zip ties so I had to install the white ones for the time being.

Re: EGR Delete

Nice little mod, thanks for sharing

Comment

And heres a link to the bigger photo: http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?ac...=post&id=30571

Here's a better photo of it all cleaned up.

In Canada with the diesel quality and the cold temperatures it causes constant issues with the EGR plugging up hence why I delete them.
      Reason for this mod is basically not to get the dirty exhaust gasses recirculating back through your engine. Which in the end lets your engine run cleaner, you get better fuel economy and also increase the life of the engine. . but its also illegal in most countries to do since environmental concerns. . Safe to say if you've ever seen a blocked EGR valve and the amount of black smoke it pumps out I think the environmental protection basically backfired.

Here in Canada with the three smarts I own with the EGRs deleted I passed my etesting on all the cars with flying colors still
      Last edited by dmoonen; 26-09-13, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Interesting, because I have not had a clogged EGR in either of my cdis in Canada, in over 310,000 km of driving!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike T View Post
          Interesting, because I have not had a clogged EGR in either of my cdis in Canada, in over 310,000 km of driving!
          Out of eight cars I service I've seen three totally plugged. My grey smart with 242,000km had it at around 130,xxxkm-+ and my red smart @71,000km both running with an additive every couple tanks. Even the last owner of the Silver Brabus had to do a full removal to clean it before I took ownership this late summer @141,xxxkm. You just have an horseshoe stuffed up your exhaust pipe.

Comment

I will let you know about the Canada 1, if anything happens to the EGR. It could well be the type of driving I do that keeps it clear. At the moment, this car only has 66,000 km.

I know that city driven cdis are not well suited to those conditions and so they take it out on the EGR and the rest of the car. I have never even had to put the official smart EGR signal damper on the EGR harness. I bought it in 2007 IIRC, because I expected to start having EGR trouble in 2007 or so.

I checked the EGR on the now scrapped 2005 cdi at about 230,000 km and it was clear as a bell. It was written off at 247,274 km.
            Last edited by Mike T; 28-09-13, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Hey Mike the purpose of the mod is to do:
              • Prevent cleaning the EGR valve when the time comes
              • Lowered the intake temperature
              • Lets the engine run cleaner
              • Increase Fuel Economy
              • Creates a better free flowing exhaust path

It really doesn't have to do with them getting plugged up, just to let the engine run without as much stress and prevent the need to ever have to clean it. And also helps preventing internal engine failures in multiple ways (temperature, debris). I've wasted much time cleaning the bloody things hense why i've posted this.

Do as you want but that's what I do to all my diesels and haven't had a single with with an internal failure. In fact sold everyone of them with almost 500,000km on the OD when the time came.

I do know first hand that using a diesel additive helps quite a bit which I know you use and I do know you mentioned red lining it which also helps prevent blockage. Again the egr's being pluged wasn't just my cars that were highway driven it was also clients cars whom are city driven short distances.
              Last edited by dmoonen; 28-09-13, 06:10 AM.

Comment

I actually have the egr of the grey smart soaking in a bin of cleaner that's just caked with soot. I'll post the picture tomorrow just to show you what I mean. Even though it's soaked and attempted to be cleaned it's still more then 50% plugged.

Preventative maintenance can't have issues with something that's not there.

Comment

EGR actually lowers combustion chamber temperatures, that is how it lowers NOx. Especially on a hard-driven remapped car, that's worth knowing.

Comment

Say as you please Mike but there's no issues with deleting the egr, the benefits outweigh the negative. The only negatives are its illegal to do because you give out more emissions and that's about i (just google it over and over again). In my Duramax my EGT's are 4c-11c lower then before and the internal engine runs actually cooler. I actually have two collage professors I work with that teach automotive shop and another mechanic that lives in one of my apartment building I own and they all say and admit the only downfall is the emissions and its just a government smog/emissions device.

Comment

They say disabling EGR is bad for the birds and the bees. On the other hand EGR makes more soot which also is bad for the environment and our health. EGR is operational at idle and lower engine speeds but is turned off at higher engine loads. Clogging up of EGR is therefore more likely if you drive like a granny and mainly in urban areas.

Comment

No duh it bad for the birds and the bees hence why its mandatory in most countries. But honestly the engine interior is much cleaner and that's basically why I do it. My trucks a bit of an larger example but Before I deleted mine on my truck it had allot of soot build up let alone its always driven a minimum of 200+km driven pretty hard. I drive usually 30km-200km on a single trip minimum with the truck and same with my smarts and the rest of my vehicles, on the Duramax forms a member posted this photo with give or take 50,000km and mine was actually worse at 168,xxxkm to the point you could just fit your pinky finger in

The smarts are the same thing and get nasty after a while with crud building up inside the lines and intake and for me I'm emissions exempt and rather have a cleaner engine that lasts longer and require one less thing to maintain. With my performance mods on the car (Remap, Brabus Exhaust, TDC Tuning Box, Air intake +++) I have actually have no visual smoke nor have accumulation on my nice shiny brabus exhaust tips. We trail each other around for work and I get to see my rear end of the smart almost daily driving down the road.

Made the video a while back, car wasn't cleaned at all this was after driving a couple weeks driving stacked with my remap and tuning box and was curious to see is there was any smoke/shoot shooting out. After a couple weeks even without a wash the exhaust tips are still shiny to the point you can see the camera/phone.

A friend has a green smart totally stock with 162,000km and when its under a heavy load you see a puff of black smoke and even my grey winter smart before I did any mechanical mods and remaps it did the same, even more so in the winter and you can visually see the black soot in the snow. It may be because I have a better burn cycle of course (fuel rail pressure, turbo spooling, air intake, no crud going back into my engine and a more free flowing intake and exhaust) but still no visual smoke but it probably has more emissions but in my case no real soot.

Comment

"Say what you will", haha, do you deny the science behind why EGR gas will lower combustion temperatures? I know you're not too keen on retaining emission control devices, for example, your cdi has a petrol exhaust canister on it, right? But does that mean that all cdi owners should delete emission controls on principle just because all the cool kids like you are doing it?

I would only consider deleting EGR if I had suffered at least two clogging episodes. As I wrote above, I have done 315,000 km in smart cdis so far and not once has either car had an EGR problem that even required me to put the signal attenuation harness that I bought from smart on the car.....not only that, neither car has had a check engine light in all that time. I would suggest that anyone in the same situation not even consider mucking with their EGR, never mind deleting it entirely.

And so I conclude with this: EGR deletion should be a last resort for cars with chronic fouling problems, but doing it for other reasons is not supportable. Just because some people have chronic EGR clogging problems does not mean every car will.

Comment

EGR on the 450 Cdi is not being monitored for flow, only for valve position. EGR gas flow can be completely blocked and engine will run perfectly with no excessive smoke or EGR fault codes. Having clocked several hundred thousand km without any apparent EGR trouble is therefore no proof that your Cdi is bird and bee friendly.

Comment

My advice was simple and had nothing to do with nature: no CEL, no drivability issues? Then there is no reason to mess with it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X